How would you get rid of coyotes?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Nicole01, Aug 10, 2013.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    It's evident I have coyotes after my flock. There's more then one coyotes also and they are hunting during morning/midday/dusk. Last week they took 2 and injured one hen very badly. I'm surprised my hen is still alive and I'm doing everything I can to save her.

Yesterday late morning about 11:30am I heard at least 2, if not 3 coyotes about 50ft from my house making their very distinct yelping noises. They took 1 hen last year about this time too and I saw 1 coyote last year midday running along side my run, then crossing the street to the neighbors coop.

My flock is now locked up for the time being. It's been cool enough to keep them in the coop and run. Once it reaches 90 outside, I have to let them out to get shade under the trees and running water. The run is nicely shaded, but it is not natural shading and it gets very hot.

I'm not only worried for my flock, but my kids and other pets too. I do hear the coyotes at night, but right now it's not a full pack.

Live coyote traps are not easy to find at a decent price either.

2. chickortreat

chickortreat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Keep a rifle handy. I keep one above the front door, loaded and ready at all times. I shot a coyote two years ago that was less than 40' from my front door when I saw her. She had gone about 25 yards by the time I grabbed the rifle and shot her. They can be called in with rabbit-in-distress calls.

3. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    If you are good with a rifle, shoot them. If not, hire someone who is.

4. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Set some leg hold traps along the edge of your run, catch them at night then kill them. Watch your dog and kids don't get near them.

5. rosiekitty94

rosiekitty94 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 7, 2013
    Maryland
    I wish there was an easier way of getting rid of them than shooting them but that's the only thing I can think of too. Out here on our property that would be the method of choice to get rid of a pest but I don't know if It's safe in suburban or densely populated areas. It's gotten to the point where my family is also standing at the ready in case a coyote should be seen. Some of the neighbors reported seeing a coyote around the same time the farmer's barn cats started going missing. Since we seem to have a way of attracting barn cats and making loving outdoor pets out of them, you can imagine why we might be concerned. Especially since one of the feral cats had kittens two months ago and two of them are still on the loose. The other night we heard something screaming up in the field and the other two kittens haven't been seen since. You can believe that if a coyote sets one foot in our back yard, "we'll be on him like a West-Texas dust storm," as my father would say! [​IMG]

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If you don't know anyone who wants to shoot it, I'd suggest contacting your local hunter's association. My husband would dearly love for someone to call him to come hunt like that!

7. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    We've been trying to hunt it for the last few days and have been very unsuccessful.

My dog decided it would be awesome to roll is very fresh coyote poop and it was ALL over her coat. That was really fresh poop too and in the mid afternoon. We still hear their yips and yelps. They are very hard to catch. We need a rabbit call.

The kids are not allowed outside in the backyard until we have this problem solved. They are not happy at all, but I want them to be safe. I don't doubt the coyotes would attack them too.

8. chickortreat

chickortreat Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Your children should be safe from a coyote under anywhere near normal conditions.

9. Crazycomb

Crazycomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2013
    Mt. Pleasant, MS
    Our property backs up to 900 acres of undeveloped woods. We have a LOT of coyotes come to the edge of the property. I hear them almost every night. We have dogs and the neighbors also have dogs that run loose at night. If you have a large breed dog that will help. I want to kill them to but it is easier said than done :(

10. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I'm being extra cautious with the kids. The coyotes are 20ft from our house hunting during the day. I know it's unlikely the kids get bit, but I'm not taking chances.

They attacked my flock with me just feet away. I've also had fox come up to me less then 5ft away when camping.:/

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by