How would you rate these birds? Ameraucana roos

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Guitartists, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    I have 3 Ameraucana roos to choose from when setting up my pen this spring. Funny enough I ended up with one each of B/B/S

I have 3 Black hens and 1 blue hen. (I will add some other hens to the mix to keep the boys busy [​IMG]) Which 2 roos would you keep with these hens?

The Black roo.... very large even though he was slow to mature and overall I'm very happy with him

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Blue roo...smaller and slow maturing

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Splash roo.. large but I just don't know.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's my lone blue hen...... She's light I know... [​IMG] (Black hens in behind her)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And just for fun... my Blue Wheaton roo that I just can't bring myself to cull.... He'll be head roo in my EE pen [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009
  2. william9792

william9792 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2008
    graham, nc
    they are some nice lookin roos

3. sandypaws

sandypaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    desert of calif
    the black is very pretty.... but i LOVE the blue!!! i want the blue,, please send him to me,, my address is....
    i am so jelouse!!!!! i want blue ameracaunas!!!!!!

4. key west chick

key west chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Gainesville, GA
    I think the black is my fav. Very pretty and shiny! My second fav is the splash.

5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    I would keep the blue roo, so you can have blue, black, AND splash babies.

6. Riocotesei

Riocotesei Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2008
    N.Texas
    I think you should keep the blue rooster. [​IMG]

7. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

i actually like the splash the best i think

8. ninjapoodles

ninjapoodles Sees What You Did There

May 24, 2008
    Central Arkansas
    Quote:YUP! [​IMG]

9. sandyj

sandyj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2008
    St.Paul, Minnesota
    I love the wheatan roo. He is beautiful!!! [​IMG] I wish we could have roosters!!!

sandyj

10. This is the two I would recommend. Since you have more Black hens I would put in the SPLASH MALE and BLUE MALE for the pen you are setting up come spring for these reasons.

The Splash Male will be mating with the Black hens creating all Blue offspring (100%).

If the Splash male mates with the Blue hen you will get Blue and Splash offspring in a Ratio 1:1

The Blue Male mates w/ Black hens and will bring in Black and Blue offspring a 1:1 ratio.

If Blue male mates w/ Blue hen the offspring will be black, blue, and splash in a ratio 1:2:1

Where the output of blue be more to the almost even number of black and splash.

What do you think of that???

You can also make EE's as long as the hens are black and blue type.

The Black roo should be held for another breeding with the Splash hens from the offspring of the above group so you can get all blue in that pen. Plus with the EE's you create can join them. Add Wheaten Blue roo, too, so you have a pair aswell (If you deside to do so as a future project....Hint Hint [​IMG] )

Last edited: Feb 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by