How would YOU run electric fencing around this pig barn coop?? PICS!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by NeeleysAVLChicks, Jul 8, 2010.

1. NeeleysAVLChicks

NeeleysAVLChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Hi guys, I've been battling raccoons these last few weeks (like everyone, it seems) and while the pesky critters haven't gotten any of my girls yet, they're trying.

My run currently lacks a real top, its netting only (still saving up the funds to get it completely enclosed) and until I can get fully enclosed, I want to run a couple strands of electric wire around my converted pig barn coop....but I'm at a total loss how to do it.

As you'll see from the pictures, it backs up to the tractor shed, which is encircled with old vine grapes. I'm a renter (loooove my landlord, he was all for the pig barn to coop conversion and loves my girls) and those grape vines were grafted from my landlord's great grandmother's heritage vines sooooo, while I can do some trimming, removing them completely is not an option.

What do you guys think? Can it be done? And if so, can you explain to a total amateur how it could be done?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    It looks like you have a very easy installation. You can use nail on plastic insulators. There are two different sizes, I'd use the longer one. When you come to a corner merely nail one on two sides of the post. I'd install them about 6" off the ground. One the insulators are in stalled it just a matter of running the wire.

3. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    I ran my hot wire around the entire run 6 inches off the ground and 6 inches from the top. If a predator misses the bottom wire and climbs the fence they will come in contact with the top hot wire. ZAP! bye bye predator. I also incorporated the wire fence as part of the electrical grounding. This ensures a powerful shock if they make it past the lower wire.

4. NeeleysAVLChicks

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Quote:I apologize for my complete lack of knowledge on this, but don't I have to have a continuous, uninterrupted circuit around the whole thing? The grape vines are right about 6 feet tall, so how would I run the side that boarders the barn? One other question, my door opens out, would I need to re-hinge it to open in?

THANK YOU!

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:No, indeed you don't WANT that. Electric fencing should never be a continuous loop, it should be one or more dead-end branches going out from the charger. Otherwise it doesn't pulse right and can potentially damage the charger.

Bear in mind though that an electric wire(s) run only around the run -- not the building itself -- will not stop climbers like possums or raccoons. If your only agenda is to stop things like dogs, or just very casual non-sincere raccoons/possums, a wire or two only on the fence will be fine, of course.

If you go to www.premier1supplies.com there are VERY good tutorials on how to install electric fences. (edited to correct URL, thanks to a later poster [​IMG])

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  6. NeeleysAVLChicks

Aug 4, 2009
    Leicester, NC
    Quote:Thanks Pat, I had that same thought. I'll continue the wire around the building as well.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Electric fencing should never be a continuous loop, it should be one or more dead-end branches going out from the charger. Otherwise it doesn't pulse right and can potentially damage the charger.

I've never heard that before. Can you elaborate?​

8. chickendude

chickendude Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Dutchess County NY
    Hey Pat I think by a continuous loop they mean totally around the perimeter. Around the bottom then up one side then around the top where it will dead end. Not returned to the source.

9. NJChicken

NJChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Annandale, New Jersey
  10. NJChicken

NJChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Annandale, New Jersey

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by