How would you sell extra produce

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by call ducks, Aug 9, 2010.

1. call ducks

call ducks silver appleyard addict

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    ok, so me and my grandfather have a market garden (2ish acres) and are swiming in Beans. we are picking 4 buckets of beans each day (those 5 gallon buckets) and there is about 14 ish pounds of beans per bucket. There is about 2 pounds of beans in a bag. we are selling them for $1.50. and still are over flowing with them.

Where do you sell/how do you sell you extra produce. I have been thinking about farmers markets but i don't know. I am still in high school, but running a "Hobby" farm (i think i should call it a farm) We have a road side stand and get about $30-$70 a day.

We just need to sell them lol.

we could have picked more then 4 buckets to day, thinking about 7-8 buckets to day.

2. WingingIt

WingingIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    A farmer's market would be a great way to sell a lot in a short amount of time. Here the locally owned grocery stores will buy straight from local growers, they have signs up at their front doors to let them know if you have excess produce to sell. Might call around to some smaller groceries and ask.

3. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:dang, we have no mom & pop grocery stores, only chain stores [​IMG]

4. HHandbasket

HHandbasket The Chickeneer

Perhaps you can start backyard farmer's exchange in your area where you can get together and have a "crop swap". Let's say, for example, that you have more bean than you can use but didn't get many tomatoes this year--you could find someone in your area who has tomatoes and swap crops with them! Swap for whatever you are looking for. You can barter for all kinds of food, services, and goods. You can advertise on your local Craigslist or on Facebook. Look for other crop swap groups in your area. Have you thought about canning some of them for use this winter? That is another option you have, as well.

You may also wish to donate some of your extra crops to local soup kitchens and places that help feed the hungry and/or the homeless. They are always in need of fresh, healthy food to feed to their clients.

Just a couple of suggestions here. Wish you luck!

5. call ducks

Mar 4, 2009
    waterville , canada
    Quote:have not thought about canning, but freezeing for the winter, that would mean we would need to blanch them first.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by