How would you seperate them?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Malbri, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    I did not intend to have roos, but of course one of my girls is not a girl:/
    So I have 9 hens and 1 rooster. I want as many as possible layers for eating eggs but still give the dude some girls.
    So the coop will be 2 sections, a 4'x4' section with a 6'x6' run, and the other part will be 4'x8', with a 16x8 run.
    I have one golden laced cochin, 2 NN's, 3 unknown cochins, 2 black sex links, and a columbian wyandotte for my hens. The rooster is a columbian wyandotte. Which, and how many girls would you put in with him?
    I will let the hens hatch eggs out if they go broody, and if they dont I may hatch some out myself. So I thought I might put in 1 or 2 of the cochins, since they arent going to be very good layers anyway so its not a big loss on the egg side, then a naked neck for fun(and to give me some good egglaying babies).
    What do you think?

2. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    It would be ideal, I'm thinking, to keep the roo with hens whose eggs you can identify individually. That way you can make decisions about which to hatch, as wanted.

3. Malbri

Malbri Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2008
    Bowdoin
    Quote:Well he can only have 3 at the most, so the NN has colored eggs, the cochins wouldnt, but there wouldnt be a way to identify between the 2 cochins

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by