1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

How you chickens liking all this snow?

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by FrizzleDizzle, Dec 19, 2009.

1. FrizzleDizzle

FrizzleDizzle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    So, I just had to dig through 12+ inches of snow to feed and water my birds. We covered their run with plastic so there is no snow in there. I can't wait to see if they actually venture out of the run into the snow. I made them a nice path around their pen for them.

Anyone's birds enjoying this weather?? Have any birds-in-the-snow pics to share??

2. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Chickens aren't quail are [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. LeBlackbird

LeBlackbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2009
    SE Pennsylvania
    My cochins and silkies aren't [​IMG]

4. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    Half of my LF flock is out under the coop the others are warm and cozy in the coop. I would choose the coop If I were them [​IMG] There is about 1 foot of snow here in MD. My coop is raised so its warm and easier to feed and water them which is nice. The bantam Faverolles are running around they are not out but they are in a chicken tractor so its cooler there. I got 4 eggs so far today though 2 from the faverolles [​IMG]

Henry

5. FrizzleDizzle

FrizzleDizzle Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2009
    Harpers Ferry, WV
    we just measured 16 inches here up on the mtn in harpers ferry wv. getting ready to run out to the coop now to see if anyone is out.

6. newchickenfamily

newchickenfamily Chillin' With My Peeps

Brrrrrrrrrrrr! I'm so thankful we are in California! No snow here!!! [​IMG]

7. LCwilson

LCwilson Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2009
    southeastern ohio
    well when i went to let them out this morning they were all excited but when i opened the door i could see the eyes get huge!! like as if they where saying HOLY COW!!!! WHAT IS THAT!!!!!

ive only had about 5 come out and they wouldnt step in it. they just went straight under the coop.

the guineas on the other hand FLAT OUT REFUSE TO COME OUT OF THE TREES!!!! they where the first ones out this morning and they flew out of the rafters and kept right on going out the door and up into a tree.

the peafowl dont like it either. my 2 year indian blue male is no where to be seen. the smallest indian blue pied male is in the coop with the chickens and the indian blue pied female is no where to be seen.

i shoveled a path to the coop for the guineas so they would see grass and come down but i dont think they have yet.

we have about 5-6 inches here in south eastern ohio.

but to sum it all up everyone here pretty much hates the snow. even the rabbits are under the coop.

8. specklesmom

specklesmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Texas
    [​IMG]

This photo was taken a few years ago, in one of our very rare Texas snows. Speckles could not understand what this white stuff was and did not like the fact that it got in the way when she was looking for bugs. She would take VERY exaggerated high steps with each foot, as if she could step over the cold white stuff! Funny girl.

9. suburbanchx

suburbanchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2009
    Do you think 2 mo old chicks would get cold if i let them out in the snow?

10. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

All what snow??

Wish we could have some. We get it for about one day every four or five years, at best.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by