How you do you get blue cochin and jersey giants?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Michele, May 31, 2008.

1. Michele

Michele Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    Roachdale, Indiana
    This is my first message board!!! I have been reading a lot and speaking with people and I always get a different answer, but how do you get a blue chick? I am going to try to have blue Jersey Giants and blue Cochins. Does anyone know or a good book to buy concerning this?

2. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    i totally do not know if this is true.. but i heard if you breed white to blk jersey giants, some of them come out blue.

i just ordered blk ones from mcmurray hatchery. they had white and blk but not blue.

i saw someone on craigslist.com selling some blue ones a while ago.

i dont know about blue cochins though. sorry.

hope this helps

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Breeding white to black or black to white only works if the white is not dominate white. However, you won't be able to know what you have until you try to breed them or unless you bought them from a reputable breeder who knew what colors s/he had.

Try to message BYC member Kev, quite knowledgable when it comes to colors.

Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2008
  4. tx_dane_mom

tx_dane_mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2007
    SE Texas
    I'd just start out buying already blue ones. Check here and on eggbid for them.

5. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    If you are willing to incubate eggs. I would highly suggest maria hall's jersey giants from indiana. She sells on poultry bid and you can also email her for availability of chicks. I can send you her email if you pm me.

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Zunibee has blue jerseys.

7. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    To get blues(any breed) you need at least one bird already having the blue gene. For the "solid blues" you want solid black birds also as Blue is a gene that dilutes the black to blue.. So every blue bird you see is really a black chicken with a blue gene. BTW a Splash is simply a black chicken with two(or pure, if you want to look at it this way) blue genes.

So if you have or are going to buy birds, you need at least one Blue or Splash and/or Black birds.

A blue and a black will give you half blue and half black babies.

A splash crossed with black will give you 100% blue babies.

Blue x blue= 1/2 blue, 1/4 black, 1/4 splash babies.

It does not matter which parent is which color by the way

A lot of people get confused by "white" in regard to blue breedings. The "white" mentioned in this kind of breeding are actually Splashes(usually a mostly white or tinted white with flecks of black), not the white as in white leghorns, white rocks etc as this white is due to completely different genes. White cochins and white giants should be regarded as just that- white. I believe cochins and giants have the recessive kind which would mean a white giant or cochin crossed with black would produce all black chicks.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2008
  8. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Blue x Blue = 25% Black (will not have a blue gene - solid black and will not throw blue chicks unless bred to a blue or splash) and 50% Blue and 25% splash

Black x Blue = 50% Black and 50% Blue

Black x Splash = 100% Blue

Blue x Splash = 50% Blue and 50% Splash.

Splash x Splash = 100% Splash

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by