How you incorperate chickens into your life

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by missychicky, Jun 30, 2010.

1. missychicky

missychicky Songster

Jun 10, 2009
    Milwuakie. OR
    I am looking at possible careers and am finding everything I am interested in pays horrible. I love animals and want to live in the country with a very small farm but I also want a fair amount of money, enough to do movies, vacations, ect. How can I have chickens and mabey goats and a job that I like that pays well? How do YOU live your country style life?

2. TwistedSerpent

TwistedSerpent Songster

Apr 28, 2010
    What I ended up doing is getting a simple decently paying general job that gave me enough time to really enjoy my hobbies and animals, and anything extra I make off of them is just extra money.

Be careful turning what you love into a business, when it comes to money and supporting yourself often it really takes the fun out of it.

I got lucky and found a great guy with the income (military) so what I do is just part time for extra. I know not everyone is quite as lucky but even with the tough work situation it is possible. If you want an actual career schooling is needed, but there are other jobs out there that dont require it although often more just grunt work. It all depends on what you want to do, and if you do it right you will be able to encorperate everything you want to do in. Just be sure not to loose sight of what makes you happy, make sure to leave spots open for them.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by