How you know you're in deep...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LTygress, Nov 1, 2013.

1. LTygress

LTygress Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2012
    I have "Harry" inside. He's my bumblefoot/tumor guy undergoing antibiotics and healing from his surgery (since the infection was inside of a cyst, there was lots of actual flesh to cut away). At first I noticed he might also have something of a cold coming on, because his breath smelled bad. So I treated him with VetRx, a camphor, menthol, mineral oil mixture.

But this is how you know caring for chickens has affected your own life. Although I admit part of it has to do with my own "addiction" to something...

Yesterday, Harry flew across the room and landed in an area where he wasn't supposed to be. He knocked over a mug of hot water, a jar of peanut butter, and the bottle of VetRx, which did not have the top on it. The peanut butter was closed, but the water and VetRx spread across the entire surface. Also laying on there was a make-up brush that I had used that was waiting to go in to the dishwasher (yes, that's how I clean them).

This morning, I made myself coffee, added my creamer, added my sugar, and then looked for the butter knife that I usually keep around to stir it with. It wasn't here. So I picked up the make-up brush (the stem is a good 8 inches long) and used it.

Only after using it to stir my coffee, did I notice the oil pools on the top of the coffee. Then I inhaled and realized I just added VetRx to my coffee by way of the make-shift stirrer.

I stared at Harry for a moment, knowing he was the one that spilled the stuff. Then I waited for the coffee to settle, let the medication pool up on top....

And drank it anyway!

To which Harry just cooed at me with a sideways glance.

2. Pathfinders

Pathfinders Overrun With Chickens

Jan 25, 2008
    Northern KY
    ROFLMAO! [​IMG]

Oh, fer funny. You are braver than I, I don't think I would have drunk the coffee with VetRx in it. That stuff is strong!

3. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    A couple of days ago, I looked at an empty coffee mug and then at Harry and said "I'm out of coffee, Harry. What am I going to do? I need to wake up!"

Apparently he has a sense of humor, because he flew up onto the corner of my bed and crowed!

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    :) too funny I just love it!!!!! I know what ya mean. I knew I was in deep when my husband tells Me from across the room "your bumblebee chicken diaper is here" !!!!

5. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    Bumblebee?
    Who makes a bumblebee version?!? I want one of those! LOL!

6. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I got it off ebay for only 15 dollars. It is made by louises closet. www.louisescountrycloset.com she makes wonderful adjustable diapers! Here is a photo as you can see the straps adjust!![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    I'm really happy with it.in fact I like it better than the pampered poultry diapers its cheaper too. Its lined with plastic on the inside of the poop catcher part and its really nice. Problem I had with other diapers is they are not adjustable and they soon out grow them. this one can grow with the bird because of the adjustable straps!! Its a great deal.

8. LTygress

Sep 12, 2012
    Oh wow! Thank you so much for this link! They really ARE cheaper! And so many more colors! I especially like the orange and the flame patterns. Orange is my favorite color.

I even have a hen sitting on my bed right now, who could definitely use one! But the $28 each on most commercial sites isn't worth it. I'd actually have to buy one in every size to have some for other chickens if/when they ever get hurt or sick.

9. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Yes this way you can adjust the diaper to fit everyone!! I just thought this was wonderful and its well made too! I would love to find this pattern because I think its made nicer and I love the easy clips! I don't think it even needs a liner because the inside is a nice plastic that can be wiped clean! I just got it the other day and I'm really impressed! Glad this helped!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by