How young can a hen lay?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Sylviaanne, Jul 24, 2014.

1. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Crowing

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    I was out locking down my birds and found an egg in the run. The birds have been out foraging but I leave the run open so they can come and go. There was an egg in the run. Small egg. Smaller than the Silkie eggs I have in the incubator. I will try to get a picture later.

All of my adult hens are over a year old with one that is 2 years old. The oldest pullet I have is almost 11 weeks old. Am I safe to assume that it had to be one of the adults? I have 5 eggs in the house and one out in the nest box that I forgot to bring in and 6 a day is what I have been gathering.

If my young pullets are not old enough to lay and I have been getting 6 eggs a day, 2 of them are duck eggs, how do I figure out who dropped this tiny thing?

I have one black hen,
    3 EE' hens 2 white, one shades of brown/grey
    1 Salmon Favorolle hen
    1 Cornish cross hen
    1 Red Production

I don't think it belonged to my black hen because when she went into the run, I was herding them to the chicken door, she stopped to look at it and peck at it. I realized what she had and ran to get it before she broke or cracked it.

2. troy4

troy4 Songster

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    Its a grown 1.No hen lays at 11 weeks.Not that i've heard of.

3. troy4

troy4 Songster

Jul 9, 2013
    In da Country Coop
    How big is her vent and the egg?

4. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Crowing

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    There is not much telling. Occasionally my girls will have what I call a wooopsi egg. I doubt it is the babies. The youngest I have had lay were my 4H pullets and we were pushing them to show at the fair that year and they laid at 3 1/2 months. You might take a guess based on color but that too might be off since it was an unusual size.

Chickens are wonderful puzzles.[​IMG]

BTW, Hello from Ozark, AR. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  5. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Crowing

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    I haven't checked their vents. I have 2 red pullets that I bought and more that are a mixed breed from my chickens that are about 1/2 to one week younger.

The egg is tiny, about an inch and a half long by an inch and a quarter wide and for it's size, very heavy. I tried weighing one of my regular eggs in my hand vs this little thing and it's very solid.

6. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Crowing

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    It will be interesting to know if it is actually a proper egg. We have had ones that had nothing inside and some that had only the white, no yolk. They have been very rare, but they do occur. The hens reproductive system just had a hiccup. [​IMG]

7. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Crowing

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    I am thinking it has to be a whoopsi egg but I don't think it could be, like one laid early, early this morning and this one laid late, late this afternoon. Since I have 7 hens of laying age and only getting 4 chicken eggs per day, it most certainly has to be one of the adult hens and a whoopsi. Don't you think?

I forgot to add that we have had a predator in the last few weeks and caught a raccoon yesterday. They stopped laying and I was only getting 2 or 3 eggs per day and one of them would be a duck egg. Then I started getting 2 duck eggs a day and it has worked it way up to 6 eggs a day since we started locking them in at night. As they have been feeling safer.

When we let them out of the henhouse yesterday morning they went to the fence that was closest to the trapped raccoon. Everybody lined up at the fence to look at it. I didn't get there with my camera in time to get a picture of all of them but I did get a picture of a lot of them still over there staring at it. LOL

Hello, back atcha!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  8. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Crowing

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Yes, if they have been stressed (like scared by a predator) then they will stop laying and then when their system starts up again sometimes the eggs aren't perfect. I am curious about what is inside. Let us know if you crack it. I have a woopsi egg on my window sill that is almost a perfect circle about an inch big. All I have are LF and this was an early egg after winter break. It feels hallow, like it is nothing but shell so I just kept it for fun. We had a small egg when the girls were first laying that we were going to cook for my daughter who thought it was so cute and it had no yolk, just the white.

9. Sylviaanne

Sylviaanne Crowing

Sep 17, 2012
    Ozark, MO
    Well, I don't know what I planned to do with it until I read this. I probably would have tried to hatch it. Anyways, now I feel guilty/bad. It did have a yolk but I don't know if I broke it opening the egg or if it never was cohesive. It looked like it was fertile but it could have been a tiny piece of the egg shell so I reached in to try to get it out. I couldn't, I think it was fertile.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: