How young for BOSS?

CreamPuff

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 2, 2008
Springfield, Oregon
Hello, I have 12 week old chicks,(I guess I should call them pullets now) are they old enough to eat Black Oil Sunflower Seeds whole yet? I'm wondering if they are too big for them to digest.

Well I have two baby chicks with mom out in the coop - and I saw mom offering them Sunflower seeds at a week old....!!
They're two weeks old now and I have seen them eat the seeds.... shell and all.

Don't forget they're outside with mom and are getting grit and dirt and all that other good stuff... all under the close supervision of Mom!
lol.png

12 weeks is PLENTY old enough!

Yup, I agree. They are old enough, but you just want to make sure they have access to grit to grind it up for digestion. They will probably look at it funny at first, but they'll learn to love snacks before long.

Jody

Ours are 16 weeks now, but we were scattering BOSS in their run at 12 weeks, with no problem at all.

In fact, the whole process was, and is, a smash hit! We make sure to scatter a few handfuls far and wide, and the girls spend hours finding every last morsel. It's a great treat-- keeps them healthy AND occupied.

I have 6 week olds that I give snacks of the goat grain mix to, they love it. It has whole oats, BOSS, and cracked corn. I scatter it in the grass and they spend their day looking around for it.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom