How young is too young for TREATS?

Chickybaby

Chirping
14 Years
Mar 28, 2008
NC - paradise!
I've got 2 week old Lt Brahmas and was wondering if they might be old enough to feed cook vegetable scraps. I cooked a spaghetti squash (no seasoning, just baked with a little water) and I've got the shell and some squash scraps left. I've heard some folks talk about feeding veggie scraps, but I don't remember if they were adult birds or not. Thanks!

I never feed treats to chicks till they're over two MONTHS old or so. You lower the protein levels too much when you do that, IMO. Dont be too anxious to supplement their starter right now with anything other than perhaps hardboiled chopped eggs, which is protein.
This is one of those things I don't get unless people just want to entertain themselves watching the chicks run around the brooder playing keep away, feeding treats to chicks. They don't need them and it does more harm than good at a very young age. That doesn't apply to tossing them a cricket or two once in awhile, more animal protein. That's just my take on it. Spaghetti squash wont hurt them, but it isn't something I'd advise at their age. They need grit if you start feeding them extra stuff, too.

Last edited:
Thanks, I thought they might be too young but wanted to ask just in case. I hate to see anything go to waste if there may be a use for it, especially veggies.

I understand that feeling, too. A taste here and there won't hurt, but feeding scraps to chicks that young isn't a good habit to get into. They do need grit for any food other than their starter, too, just remember that.

How about feeding them a few dried mealworms once a day? Like 5-6 total for 4 chicks? I figure it is animal protien, and gives them something to do (I have been puting them in the shavings when I clean, so they find them when they are scratching). seems like a natural thing to do..... I did put one in front of them today, while I was trying to take a group picture, and they kept chirping real loud at it, LOL.
tongue.png

If you feed a few mealworms on occasion, that's fine because that's protein, but other things that lower their protein content at less than a month old are not advisable. Chick starter is a complete food for the babies and other foods upset that balance if they are high in carbs and low in protein.

My chickies will be happy to hear this. This is my first bator hatch, I always use broodies, so Momma always takes care of them....thanks for the input.
big_smile.png

Gee, where are my broodies?? I'm jealous. My only hen to ever go broody, and she's done it two years in a row, hasn't done it this year. I keep saying, "Sunny, aren't you going to want babies this spring?" She just looks at me, LOL. Love it when we can leave it all to the mamas.

Back
Top Bottom