How young of a chicken can you take to a show?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by maus, May 14, 2009.

1. maus

maus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Florida
    I have a 10 week old pullet I was hoping to take to a show at the end of the month. She is 10 weeks old now and fully feathered, but still isnt quite clucking. Her voice is still changing. Is it ok to take a chicken that young to a show or is that some kind of instant disqualification? (Im new to showing, obviously, lol)

2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    She's too young. She is fully feathered but it's juvenille plumage-she has another molt to go before she in adult plumage. Also, at 10 weeks, she's way too small. A bird that doesn't display proper breed characteristics is disqualified & weight is a disqualifying breed characteristic. 20% over or under standard weight is a disqualification.

3. preppy*hippie*chick

preppy*hippie*chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Centerburg, Ohio
    At what age does this next molt occur?

4. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Best advice will come from a judge!! [​IMG]

I took a 6 month old cochin cockerel to the national ABA show because I wanted an opinion from the judges...not expecting to place. I was given great information about the birds and told to wait a few more months before entering again.

I wouldn't take anything before 6-8 months.

5. maus

maus Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Florida
    Ah. Thank you so much everyone. That is great to know! [​IMG] I guess I will be going to look and buy some birds instead of taking one. I thought she may be too young. Thank you again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by