How young to be broody?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrkep, Nov 26, 2010.

1. mrkep

mrkep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Richwood , Ohio
    We have 13 buckeye hens, 24 weeks old in our flock. We are up to 8 eggs / day, most days. Today the temp was 20 and one girl didn't want to get off the nest. I reached under and took 4 eggs at 9:00, just went back out to check for more. When I reached under her, she squacked and jumped off 4 more. So is this too young for her to be broody? The weather is just going to get colder, and I don't want to have chicks thru the winter. Maybe she just didn't want to leave the warm nest box? This is our first chicken experience so we are still feeling our way.
    Thanks for any advice.
    mrkep

2. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I've never had buckeyes, but have had several hens go broody right after they started laying so it's very possible that is what is going on with your girl. You'll know for sure if you start seeing a huge nasty smelling broody poo in the next couple of days. They only get off the nest once a day (or so, sometimes more, sometimes less) to eat/drink/poo and sometimes take a quick dust bath. Anyhow, after holding it for so long what they "deposit" is like nothing else you'll see in the chicken yard so you'll know it when you see it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by