How???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by bunch-a-chickens, Dec 17, 2007.

1. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    black stars(sexlinks) what colors are the males and females, and if they were crossed with a buff oprington would they still be sexlinks??

2. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Black stars (females) are black with red/gold hackle feathers. I have never had a male, so I don't know what those look like. Can't answer you about the buff orp x either, sorry. [​IMG]

Here's a picture even though she is a poor example:

[​IMG]

The gold/red feathers should go all the way around the neck and head. Her's only showed up on the front of her neck.

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Black sexlinks look very much like badly barred Barred Rocks, often with a green or reddish tail feather. If you cross with anything, you just more of a mutt/crossbreed than they already are, not a sexlink.

4. bunch-a-chickens

bunch-a-chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2007
    Claiborne County Tn.
    when chicks are born, how are they distinguished by color? what color are the females and what color are the males?

5. CovenantCreek

CovenantCreek Chicks Rule!

Oct 19, 2007
    Franklin, TN
    Quote:The female chicks are the color of the roo's breed, the males are the color of the hen's breed. Not necessarily an exact match, but close enough that the difference is easy to see.

Check out this page on Feathersite.com for more info.

6. BantyChickMom

BantyChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2007
    Henderson, NC
    From what I understand, black sexlink chicks are:

females....... solid black

males........ black with white spot on the head (like BR's)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by