Howard wont eat... help!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by NaturalBeauty, Dec 25, 2013.

1. NaturalBeauty

NaturalBeauty New Egg

Jul 11, 2013
    Taylor, MI
    I have a 5 month old white call who had developed a bad habit of not eating almost all day! He stays in the backyard during the day, but he won't leave the deck to forage... so i moved his food and water up there with him, but he won't touch it! He just sits at the doorwall begging to come in... He only eats when he is in the house (for about 2 hours every evening) or when i put him to bed at night in his hut in the garage... He is crabby and bites because he is almost starving to death!

His mallard buddy migrated about 1.5/2 months ago and now he has been super needy for attention...

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Perhaps it's time to get him another buddy or 3.
    I would weigh him daily and if he continues to lose weight he needs an intervention.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Ditto ChickenCanoe, and for now I would bring him in more if at all possible. Sounds to me that not only is he lonely, he does not feel secure. His world may be very scary right now. Can you make a space for him in the house temporarily, with an unbreakable mirror while you seek a few buddies? I would.

4. NaturalBeauty

NaturalBeauty New Egg

Jul 11, 2013
    Taylor, MI
    [​IMG]

This is what i see every day :(

5. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I would cut him some slack. Ducks can make themselves seriously ill, grieving and lonely.

Really. I almost lost Romy just days after Michele died.

Give him some extra time and company, and get some friends.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by