how'd I get a turkey

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by granmahen, Dec 4, 2008.

1. granmahen

granmahen Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    Bakersfield, CA
    [​IMG] It happened again. Thought I got a funny looking chicken, they told me it was a danbury brown leghorn. Lo and behold, its a turkey. At least its a hen. The white pullet (1 month older) that we got at the same time still treats this huge thing like its baby. Crazy.

2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    'they' need to keep track of their 'chickens'! [​IMG]

3. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    This one made me chuckle. Turkey's are nothing like chickens. I don't mean to find humour in your frustration, but it is kind of funny.

Turkeys are so slow to mature, they take much longer to get secure on their feet and walk around with a daft expression on their faces for a while. But they're just fun birds. Enjoy the little girl. Maybe you'll find a nice tom for her and if she's a heritage breed she'll produce some valuable offspring.

You should post a pic so we can determine breed.

4. Felicitas

Felicitas Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, I'd love to see a pic of the turkey!

5. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Too bad! What hatchery goofed like this? [​IMG]

6. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Be kind to her. Turkeys are very sweet birds and will win your heart quickly.

7. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    Didn't mean to be mean at all... sorry if I sounded like it! silly me [​IMG] I really hope turkeybird works out for you.

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:For a while??? Mine walked around with a daft expression on their faces until the day I crated them and took them to the processor. [​IMG]

9. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I was trying to be nice. Oh well, he's right, I have rocks in my yard with more common sense. Turkey's aren't bright, but they're fun and sweet.

10. walkswithdog

walkswithdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    DC Region
    Lord am I the only person with turkeys with half a brain? I love my Bourbon Reds and here they're good watch birds, warn the others very early of hawks, and are just a joy to have.

Enjoy your turkey baby, they're gems. I don't know what hatchery would put a turkey poult in with chicks. That's so warped. But mine would live in the hen house if I let them but they're wayyyyy too big for it. That wingspan isn't suitable to 6 x 8.

If you've the room she should be very happy with a chicken flock. But go beat whoever you got her from. They should have had the decency to send a pair.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by