How'd THAT Happen??? BYC meet up and pullet becomes cockerel...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by speckledhen, Apr 15, 2009.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Today, the funniest thing happened. I had several BYC members coming to pick up hens, chicks and hatching eggs. mudderhen came to get two NH hens and missouri chick came with her. walkswithdog came with her friend to get some Barred EE chicks, hatching eggs and three Delaware cockerels. I decided to give her another one that I decided not to keep because of a comb flaw, so that would be four boys going with her and four that I marked on their heads with brown watercolor marker staying here, totaling eight. Well, I'm putting all the unmarked boys in her dog crate and she says, "oh, you have five Dels in here". I think, oh, one of my boys lost his mark, so I open the crate to see if I can see a very faded mark on the head. Nope, none have any mark except the extra boy's fading green one. [​IMG] I go count my marked boys back in the coop and all four are still there, with the marks on their heads completely plain. Dang, one of my pullets turned into a very late blooming cockerel in the last couple of days!!! There was no comb development at all the last time I checked and I clean out their coop every day with them swarming around my feet. So, I have only five girls, not six, and instead of eight boys, there were really nine! Surprise! Let's just there isn't another cockerel in pullet's clothing among my five girls in that pen!

Thanks, Sharon, Lori, Cher and Laura!!! Too bad you couldnt have stayed longer, but we had a mini-Chickenstock!

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Seems to me if you get a bunch of BYCers together, strange things are bound to happen. [​IMG]

3. Mandalina

Mandalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Savannah,MO
    lol,that is funny! i had the same thing happen over here, one of my cochins didnt become a "boy" until a few days after the other 3. i thought he was a girl and had named him a girly name lol. poor guy!

4. cockadoodlemom

cockadoodlemom Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2007
    Texas
    I agree with gritsar....things bound to happen when you get a few BYC'ers together [​IMG]

5. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    Don't you just love the little boys when they do that! [​IMG]

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Well, this boy was a sneaky little devil! I've never seen one go from "definite pullet" to cockerel in a couple of days like that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by