Howdy. About to be chicken mom!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mspiggie, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Mspiggie

Mspiggie New Egg

Sep 2, 2014
    Hi. I just joined here. This evening I a bringing home 4 grown hens. My husband bought me a beautiful coop and there run will be finished tomorrow. I am excited and nervous. Don't know much about chickens. Any help appreciated. Nice to be here.

2. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Hi and welcome - to BYC and to chickens!
    What an exciting time!

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

BYC has a very useful learning center [​IMG]

Well I am sure you will be asking questions by tomorrow [​IMG]

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
  5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

Feel free to ask lots of questions! We're all here to help. [​IMG]

Good luck with your chickens!

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Good luck with your new flock!

7. Mspiggie

Mspiggie New Egg

Sep 2, 2014
    Thank you everyone. I do have a couple of ?s. I have straw to work with how much should I put on floor of coop? I know I should put some in boxes. Also, should I keep them just in the coop for a day or 2 to get used to it? It is hot where I live. Thank you

8. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

Straw is not the best bedding to use as it is not absorbent as say wood shavings or sand. So you will want to bed them pretty deeply. Chickens love to scratch. So pile it 4 to 6 inches deep at least. Yes, it is best to lock them in the coop for several days if you plan on free ranging. If you have a run set up, you don't need to lock them in the coop. Locking them in allows them to learn where home is when out free ranging.

If it is really warm in your area, make sure to open all windows in the coop, run fans, put ice cubes in the water, feed cool treats, you can even use ice packs for them to lay on or next too. If it is excessively hot, you may not be able to lock them in. If it gets much over 100 degrees in the coop, this could harm or kill them.

Definitely stop by our learning center for lots of tips on raising your flock. Click on that link that Wyandottes has left for you.

Good luck with your new birds! Give them time to adjust. They will probably stop laying for a few weeks, other than what is in the pipes now. So keep the stress down around the coop, move slowly around them, talk quietly to them and go spend some time with them each day. Sit with them, bring treats. Don't pick them up for a week or so. They will no doubt be stressed for a while so just let them know everything is going to be ok.

Welcome to our flock!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  9. Frindizzle

Frindizzle Guitar Girl <3 Premium Member

Hello and….

[​IMG] from Washington! BYC is the best fowl website you can find.[​IMG] I hope you feel glad you signed up! In our flock we have great people and it is always great to have a new member:) In our flock, we have no pecking order!

[​IMG]

By the way, not saying that you will do anything bad, but no fowl play[​IMG]

10. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the flock. Twocrows said it best - just follow her advice.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by