Howdy!! Another newbie... from North Central Florida!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Lynnae4913, Aug 21, 2013.

1. Lynnae4913

Lynnae4913 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2013
    High Springs, Fl.
    Hi ya'll! So, I am finally going to do this. I'm a little bit shy... but here goes!
    I started with my chickens almost one year ago. We bought a dozen... some Light Brahmas, Buffs, RI Reds, Speckled somethings and Lavender somethings. [​IMG] I'm not real good with the breed names yet. They must have been 2-3 months old when we got them, as it seems like it was about 3-4 months or so before they started laying. We soon found out that we were going to have more eggs than we knew what to do with. I gave them to my kids, my mother, my employees... we sold some... ate a bunch and still have more than we can handle. It dawned on me that perhaps I could hatch some and thus raise some to replace/replenish my stock... or to eat...

So off I went on my internet search to figure out what to do about an incubator and what all is involved in hatching chicks. I've never done it before. It seemed like in every search I did, BYC was there with the most information... every time. Soon I just learned to stop searching and just come here. I've been reading for a while now and finally joined, and here I am.
    There are not many questions I can come up with that have not already been addressed in the forums. This is one awesome source of information and so far, I have felt that the members are extremely friendly and helpful. I am honored to be a member and look forward to learning all I can from you all. I'd love to meet some of the local members one day! (I'm in High Springs). I noticed there are several who live near me.

I have set up a homemade incubator in the top of a modified old entertainment unit, with the brooder area under the 'bator where the TV would have gone. It's been set up and running for over a week now. I just set my first eggs on 8/20 at 7:45 AM. Perhaps, if I am successful, I will share the details and pictures of my Bator Brooder. While I feel I have done a good job trying to "educate" myself, I am still so very nervous about this whole thing. It seems silly that I live on a "farm" where we butcher pigs, goats and rabbits for food... I EAT my eggs and I WILL eat chicken... but to think I might 'murder' 30 eggs that I would have eaten anyhow, just terrifies me! Crazy huh? This is gonna be a lot like planting a seed in the ground and just having faith that it will sprout and grow. I can hardly wait till I can candle my eggs next week!

A little 'about me': as I mentioned already, beside the chickens, we raise rabbits and goats. We live on 10 acres and grow blueberries and most of our own veggies. I do a lot of canning. We usually raise one pig a year for the meat. I have a 20,000 gallon pond in the backyard with Japanese Koi. We own our own business since 1988. We have 5 kids (his, mine, ours and someone elses) and 10 grandchildren. That's about all I can think of to say! I just about wrote a book here!

I'm off to go watch SmittenChicken's live cam of the chicks hatching! I can see already that it is good I am seeing this now so I know what to expect!

Thank you ALL for sharing!

Lynnae

1 person likes this.
  2. Mehjr10

Mehjr10 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2012
    Moscow, TN
    Welcome to BYC from West TN !! Once you start hatching the chicken match really kicks in.. It Sounds like you are doing well, and as you have found all things chicken can be found Here [​IMG]

3. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Hello from Alaska,Glad you joined.Sounds like you have a very nice farm.[​IMG]

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Lynnae, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us! I loved your intro! Good luck with the farm!

5. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us! Best of luck with the hatch and keep us posted!

6. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I'm glad you have joined us, looking forward to getting to hear more from you in the future :)

7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] You sound like a kind, conscientious person - you'll do just fine

8. Beaker Duck

Beaker Duck BYC's CUTE Travelling Mascot

Jul 22, 2011
    All Over
    Wow, I think they should use your post on the main page. You have captured what BYC is. A great knowledgable community of friends, with tons and tons and TONS of information, and tons of good people, and even a stuffed duck. (An extremely CUTE stuffed duck).

When I think of Florida, I think of warm sunshine,oranges, alligators and Mickey Mouse ( who I FINALLY got to visit last Dec and he was kinda rude.) I wouldn't think of a full on farm. Of COURSE you had to have chickens on your farm. I want to warn you- hatching babies is very very exciting and can be addicting.

Welcome to BYC officially. Can't wait to see pictures of your Florida farm. (Pictures are required by BYC law. Just in case you didn't read the fine print)

9. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

10. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by