Howdy Chicken Peeps! :)

SuzanneFox

Chirping
Feb 8, 2020
I have been chicken-less for 20 years, but am now located in a 1923 farmhouse on 1 acre in coastal SC, Andrews, a TINY rural town. We just rec'd the "Brown Egg Layers" assortment Thursday afternoon. The Chicken Mansion is almost complete, and the chicks are currently residing in our master bathroom claw foot tub. LOL I've been ghosting BYC for about a year and plotting my new chicken adventure!
Growing up, we didn't have much of selection (that I was aware of) and got whatever the feed store offered - RIR, Dominique, Barred Rocks, random yellow chicks and black hens of some sort. Straight runs and the extra boys got butchered on my uncle's working farm... All I can say now is WOW! I impressed with all the variety and egg colors available. :) We are super interested in Heavies, Wyandottes, Orpingtons and Marans. But there are just SO MANY to choose from.
This site is a wonder for my first pasty butt, and a possible head-scratching-while-cheeping-loudly chick situation. Keeping fingers crossed we won't lose any more any time soon...Thanks for all the great info BYC!
~Suzanne

Hi! Welcome to BYC! So great to have you here! Loud chirping usually means they are too hot. Can they get away from the heat? Is the heater heating up the ceramic tub and making their feet too hot?
I have tub, then cardboard, then newspaper, then pine shavings, then newspaper , then paper towels. Bit of an overkill, hmmm? :) So no way to get tub too hot. Heater is on in the bathroom per usual, and heat lamp is hanging from ceiling hook and is adjustable height to keep thermometer between 85 and 95. And yes, they can move around either end of tub to get cooler... It was just the one chirping loudly and running around to scratch at it's head. Seems to have stopped now, thank goodness! I did give pasty butt a butt bath and that seems to be helping that one.

I have tub, then cardboard, then newspaper, then pine shavings, then newspaper , then paper towels. Bit of an overkill, hmmm? :) So no way to get tub too hot. Heater is on in the bathroom per usual, and heat lamp is hanging from ceiling hook and is adjustable height to keep thermometer between 85 and 95. And yes, they can move around either end of tub to get cooler... It was just the one chirping loudly and running around to scratch at it's head. Seems to have stopped now, thank goodness! I did give pasty butt a butt bath and that seems to be helping that one.
Sounds like you've got it "covered". :lol:

Back
Top Bottom