1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Howdy from Arkansas!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WillWork4Eggs, Apr 27, 2009.

1. WillWork4Eggs

WillWork4Eggs New Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Arkansas
    Howdy, y'all![​IMG]
    Although I grew up on a farm, this is my first year raising chickens as an adult. About six weeks ago I got up my courage and bought 18 baby chicks (pullets, mostly) of mixed breeds. I'm raising them in my backyard for eggs. I may put a few in the freezer, too. Right now they're in an 8' x 8' run, which we'll be expanding to 8' X 12' soon, but I also plan on giving them the run of the yard once they're big enough. They really seem to love it out there!
    Now that I've got the important stuff out of the way [​IMG], a little more about me. I'm happily married (15 yrs.) with three beautiful children, one beloved little miniature dachshund and a calico cat. I'm a college nursing student and some of my favorite activities are gardening and cooking.
    I joined this message board because it looks like fun and I'm hoping to learn more about raising chickens, make friends with fellow farmers and to share and read about experiences with chickens.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2009
  2. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    [​IMG]

3. 60ACRES

60ACRES Stepped in what??

Apr 8, 2009
    Long, OK
    Howdy back at ya, and Welcome...

Quote:Sounds like you have come to the right place!

4. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    [​IMG] From Mountain Home, AR.

5. Guwisti

Guwisti Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2009
    Van Buren, AR
    Hi there, another howdy from Arkansas!

I have 6 - 51/2 week old pullets. 2 Rock Reds (Black Star Sex Links), 2 Welsummers, and 2 Silver penciled Wyandottes. Just got their coop and attached run finished this weekend....so no more chickens in the house. Yay!

First time I've had chickens as an adult. I'm raising them for eggs. When I was little my dad would chop their heads off and make me chase them until the fell down. I was 3 and thought it was fun, but my mom tells me I also stopped eating fried chicken at that age as well. lol.

6. gpamela3499

gpamela3499 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Near San Fran Ca
    [​IMG] to you both from California
    [​IMG]

7. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] Hiya from another Arkansan! There are a lot of us out here from Arkansas. Be sure to check out the Where Am I, Where are Your thread!

[​IMG]

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Welcome from Michigan! [​IMG]

You've come to the right place to learn, meet new friends, and just chat in general - I look forward to your posts!

9. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

10. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by