Howdy from Arkansas!

WillWork4Eggs

Hatching
10 Years
Apr 27, 2009
Arkansas
Howdy, y'all!
smile.png

Although I grew up on a farm, this is my first year raising chickens as an adult. About six weeks ago I got up my courage and bought 18 baby chicks (pullets, mostly) of mixed breeds. I'm raising them in my backyard for eggs. I may put a few in the freezer, too. Right now they're in an 8' x 8' run, which we'll be expanding to 8' X 12' soon, but I also plan on giving them the run of the yard once they're big enough. They really seem to love it out there!
Now that I've got the important stuff out of the way
wink.png
, a little more about me. I'm happily married (15 yrs.) with three beautiful children, one beloved little miniature dachshund and a calico cat. I'm a college nursing student and some of my favorite activities are gardening and cooking.
I joined this message board because it looks like fun and I'm hoping to learn more about raising chickens, make friends with fellow farmers and to share and read about experiences with chickens.

Last edited:
Hi there, another howdy from Arkansas!

I have 6 - 51/2 week old pullets. 2 Rock Reds (Black Star Sex Links), 2 Welsummers, and 2 Silver penciled Wyandottes. Just got their coop and attached run finished this weekend....so no more chickens in the house. Yay!

First time I've had chickens as an adult. I'm raising them for eggs. When I was little my dad would chop their heads off and make me chase them until the fell down. I was 3 and thought it was fun, but my mom tells me I also stopped eating fried chicken at that age as well. lol.

Welcome from Michigan!
frow.gif

You've come to the right place to learn, meet new friends, and just chat in general - I look forward to your posts!

Back
Top Bottom