Howdy from Blue Mountain, Mississippi

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by WhiteLeggern, Jul 1, 2010.

1. WhiteLeggern

WhiteLeggern New Egg

Jul 1, 2010
    Blue Mountain
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?

Not new at all, I was raised about thirty miles from here on an egg production chicken farm. We had three houses, each 300 feet long with four rows of cages, uppers and lowers on both sides. With 19,000 white leghorns (hence my user name spelled colloqially) I could always count on after school and summer employment LOL.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? Right now, I am just getting back into having a few chickens in the backyard after a ten year hiatus. I just got a dozen babies.

(3) What breeds do you have? 4 Columbian Wyandotts and 8 Black Stars. Of course, I plan to get a few white leghorns for old time's sake as well and I want a pair of silkies cause they are like the chicken version of a Persian cat and look so cool.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Yahoo search.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Gardening, house renovations (have an old Victorian house that needs lots of love), Civil War reenacting, sewing, knitting, canning, spoiling my granddaughters rotten.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I live with my hubby Charles, we are empty nesters, I have two sons by my first marriage and he has a son and a daughter by his first marriage. The aforementioned granddaugthers are Hailey and Victoria and are mine by my eldest son Robert who is currently in the Army and stationed at Ft. Riley in Kansas. I have two kitties, Lurch and Tigger who were born in the closet under the staircase here in the house and are now 5 years old. They are mad at me right now because they are shut out of the parlor since the peeps are incubating in there (leave it to me to put baby chickens in a room full of antique Victorian parlor furniture LOL). I am tearing down the old chicken house and rebuilding a better design so, no other safe place for them. I sew lady's Victorian clothing for a living. My online store is on etsy. I have very fond memories of growing up on that 20 acre chicken farm and having chickens in my life is as natural as breathing for me.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2010
  2. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    [​IMG] & [​IMG]

3. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    [​IMG]

Glad you found us and joined in on the fun, friendly forum!

4. Amyable

Amyable Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Greenleaf, WI
    [​IMG] from WI!

5. Rebel Rooster

Rebel Rooster I Will Love! :)

Jun 29, 2009
    Central SC
    My Coop
    [​IMG] From "Hot & Steamy" South Carolina!! [​IMG]

6. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

[​IMG] and [​IMG] from S. Florida! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

7. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. Old Fossil

Old Fossil Out Of The Brooder

Mar 16, 2010
    south Mississippi
    Hi WhiteLeggern, I'm in Laurel, MS. Good to see a fellow Mississippian here!

9. crazyaboutchickens

crazyaboutchickens Live Long And Prosper

Apr 10, 2010
    Nowhere/Everywhere
    [​IMG] from New York !

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by