Howdy - from central North Carolina

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mason2000, Mar 25, 2013.

1. mason2000

mason2000 New Egg

Mar 24, 2013
    I'm new to the forums as a poster, but have visited often. We have owned chickens for about 5 years now, but keeping them has been challenging. Predators and disease have been the most common problems.

We have a solid flock now of 15 hens and one rooster (who I really don't like, but the kids don't want to get rid of him, and momma is siding with the kids). A couple of the hens are 2 years old, one is about 6 years old (we got her from another flock keeper), but most of them are just under a year old. They are a mixture of Americanas and Silver Laced Wyandottes. We have 10 coming in late April (Black Astrolorpe).

Our setup is modest - we have two small houses, only one of which is currently in use, with a run closed in by electric poultry netting from Premier 1 Supplies. We clip the wings to keep them from flying out. At the top of my list is improving the water situation to use an automatic waterer with nipples and once the new chickens are big enough (by mid fall), combining the flocks and combining the houses into one big house to expand their room.

Look forward to interacting with everyone.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Electric fencing, good for you!!

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, mason2000, and [​IMG]! Great to have you aboard! Best of luck to you and your flock!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

5. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by