Howdy, from Dripping Springs, Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Gary Willson, Dec 19, 2014.

1. Gary Willson

Gary Willson Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2014
    Hi,

Thank you for letting me join your group. I don't have my chickens yet, but I've finished my coop and am anxious to buy some teenagers.

We've been in the Austin Texas area for about a year and a half. We moved from Houston where I had two Production Red hens. My dogs killed them shortly before we moved.

I plan to get about 4 pullets and a rooster. Looking forward to learning and sharing with you all.

Here is my coop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Nice looking hen.

[​IMG]

4. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

5. Book Em Danno25

Book Em Danno25 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]

6. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

7. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC! [​IMG]We're glad to have you.

8. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you decided to join our flock. My wife and I were both raised in the great state of Texas. I'm sorry about the loss of your Production Reds. If you are going to keep a rooster, I would suggest getting more than 4 hens to go with him. The recommended ratio of roosters to hens is 1 rooster for every 10 hens. As they mature, too many roosters (or not enough hens in your case) will become very hard physically on your hens; over-breeding them, biting and plucking the feathers from their necks and backs, battering them, and potentially seriously injuring them. The only reason you need a rooster is to fertilize eggs for hatching, and 1 rooster can easily handle 10 hens in this regard. I currently have 25 hens and no roosters in my flock, and I get loads of eggs without all the aggression, biting and feather plucking, feeding of non-productive mouths, crowing in the middle of the night, drop off in egg production, over-breeding and battering of hens that goes along with having roosters (especially too many). My hens are stress free and enjoying life without a rooster around. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens are you planning to get?

9. CarnyCat

CarnyCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2014
    In the woods of Ga
    Hello and welcome

10. Gary Willson

Gary Willson Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2014
    Thanks folks ! I wanted a rooster to remind me of being back on the farm. I love the sound of a rooster crowing at daybreak. However, I'll rethink getting one unless I decide to get more hens. Thanks for the advice. @Michael OShay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by