Howdy from East of Sacramento

2BackYardChicks

In the Brooder
Mar 25, 2020
Howdy! My name is Christina and yes myself and family are brand new here and just researching our set up and how to get started. So we are in the pre-chicken faze.

A couple of our questions I'm looking for guidance on are:
1. Best varieties for semi suburban areas?

2. Best varieties inland north/central California? It gets very hot and dry in the summer (can be 110+). Winters are very unpredictable. It could rain all winter long. It could be dry and freeze frequently. Low temp for winter, 25 would be very cold. Average is 40s/50s. Again if we have a wet winter, it would rain every day for a couple months Noah's ark style.

3. Anyone Sacramento to Placerville California willing to connect?

I've been wanting chickens for years and though we live in town, we are on a 1/3 acre and it's almost entirely behind our house, so we have plenty of room. My hubby kept putting it off. Now he's had a kick in the butt to become more self reliant and we are ready to move forward.

I work at a gym and love to cycle and lift weights. I also love gardening and baking bread. My husband and I have 6 kids, 3 still at home, ages 10, 10 & 14.The kids are pretty excited about this whole chicken thing too ♥️ They are good, kind, responsible kids and will be great helpers.

We do have a German Shepherd we will need to train to leave the ladies alone. I'm actually thinking of having kinda a 3 layer fence. 1 that splits the yard (dog & pool from chickens and garden) 1 that encloses the garden and chickens and 1 inside that that encloses the chickens and coop so they have their own room all the time, which I can open up then during the day to the garden or to that entire side of the yard. So I know I need to keep the dog and chickens seperated. Any suggestions would be great.

I found BYC on Facebook. I know we need a lot of help so I found the page and signed up! Thanks for everything ♥️

Welcome to Backyard Chickens! 🐔

Feel free to drop in and share your flock

Updates for 2020 with us here in my 2020 flock life thread

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/2020-flock-life.1351080/

28AE0853-5E1A-4D2C-9B42-9974A731788E.jpeg

It’s nice to meet you!

Back
Top Bottom