Howdy, from Fayetteville, Texas. I am the Quack Master.

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Many Thunders, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Many Thunders

Many Thunders New Egg

Jul 18, 2011
    Howdy, from Fayetteville, Texas.

Honestly, I'm no Quack Master, as I just started raising fowl this year for the first time starting Feb 28th.

It has been quite fun. I ordered a strait run of Fawn Runner Ducks. I was told they will outlay a good egg laying chicken, so I based my purchase as follows...

My goal was to end up with 6 to eight egg laying ducks after one year. Minimum order was 15 to an order. They sent 16...[​IMG] I figured half might be male, leaving me 8 hens. Through predation, disease or otherwise I might lose 20% before I figure out how to stop it from happening again, thus 6 hens. EVERYBODY ELSE MAKES IT TO THE BBQ GRILL. [​IMG]

So far it is working out as planned. The ducks are a pure joy and funny as heck to watch. We have a pond but I am thinking about keep it a secret from them for now, until they are "street smart" enough. I ate two drakes, then separated the remaining 3 (there was only 5 afterall) to a remote pen. The remote pen became a buffet table for the local owls and they ate two the first night while under a big vapor light. GRRRRRR.

I have moved them back together and only lost one additional bird ( a hen) to the owl. Now I need to implement a deterant system for owls and hawks.

By the way!!! I have seen a lot of blah blah about "ewww, duck eggs are nasty". I say BULL!! You are what you eat, and depending on what your birds are eating is what the eggs will taste like. Everyone I have heard who does not like the flavor of their duck eggs, has their ducks on a pond. Mine are not, and mine are as good if not better than store bought chicken eggs.

Cheers,
    Many Thunders

2. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    A big Texas-sized [​IMG]

[​IMG] Be sure to visit our Texas Thread (see my signature..)

[​IMG]

3. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    [​IMG] from central Texas.
    I have all kinds of ducks and geese and they run with all the chickens, turkey's and guineas. A little mud never hurt anyone. [​IMG]

4. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

5. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from FL!

6. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. So sorry you've had losses [​IMG] Our runs have something on top of them like aviary netting, hardware cloth, or tin & we also have geese for extra protection. Lots of good luck with them [​IMG]

7. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    [​IMG]

8. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto