Howdy from Kansas City, MO!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by rlshepard, Oct 2, 2013.

1. rlshepard

rlshepard Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2013
    Kansas City Missouri
    Hello everyone!,[​IMG]

I've been lurking around this site for a while now soaking up all the knowledge ya'll have to offer and thought I should formally introduce myself.

We live in South Kansas City on ~ 3 acres with more developed neighborhoods all around Kinda funny to have our lil compound right here in the middle of everything [​IMG]

This spring I dove in and ordered 24 eggs to hatch my flock... As hatch day approached the candling was not looking promising, the Admiral and I were getting nervous that nothing was going to happen she was sure that we had a bunch of bum eggs... or I did it wrong or something... so we went down the street and bought chicks 6 Barted Rocks, 6 Production reds and two roosters a Barred rock and I can't remember the breed of the other one, he is all black with a green tint...

Any way, hatch day comes, I down and look at the incubator, and what do I see? A Chick of course! not a ton hatched 5 total out of 24 we go a nice mix couple more roos, I don't know the breed of the all. two are bantam a lil white rooster with black feathers mixed in and then we have the Ameraucana rooster (we just figured out that he is a rooster based on seeing him mount the girls) we call him the "owl" The Admiral says he looks like an owl. We had two other Ameraucana's hatch but they got out of the fence and foxes got to them. We also have a hen (I think) That we call the "crow" she is bantam and looks like a crow had joined the flock!

I cannot believe how yummy the eggs are!

In may I decided that I wanted Guineas, so I found a guy that was selling keets, and picked up four of them... He also had some nice looking Narragansett Turkey babies... so I brought home six birds...[​IMG]

I now have 15 eggs in the incubator started them last week, Planning to hatch them out and... er um "process" them early next year.... figuring 16 weeks or so?

Sooo Yeah... that's how our lil homestead got started.... [​IMG] Planning to start a real vegetable garden this spring.....

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Your little homestead is progressing nicely! You'll get some nice gardening tips and gardeners to chat with on our sister site: www.TheEasyGarden.com Enjoy!

3. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

4. micah O

micah O Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2013
    at the computer.
    [​IMG]

5. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Happy you joined!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by