Howdy from NC, foot of the Blue Ridge

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by honeychile, Feb 26, 2013.

1. honeychile

honeychile New Egg

Feb 26, 2013
    Hello all! I've been lurking and have found this site very useful as I've prepared to dip my toe into the backyard chicken movement. Where I live (inside the city limits), I'm allowed only 5 hens. I purchased a small chicken coop and run from an ad on Craigslist and met a nice lady who raised 3 Rhode Island Reds in the coop and is moving up with a larger coop and more chickens. I wasn't sure I could handle brooding chicks, so I purchased four Buff Orpington pullets from a breeder in a neighboring town and they are now 8 weeks old, starting to look like real chooks instead of peepers! Here's a little video I posted last week of my gals (Daisy, Buttercup, Marigold and Sunflower).

I've never had poultry before, no previous experience whatsoever and so I've scoured the internet and asked questions of the few people I know who have chickens. I'm only interested in fresh eggs and the fun of pet chickens. I hope to share the fun with my 6-year-old grandson who visits often. I've been surprised when I talk to people about the chickens, often their own memories are stirred and they share with me. Just yesterday my 80-year-old father told me about his own father raising chickens during the depression, buying 100 "Dominickers" (the Dominique breed) for a penny apiece. I knew that my father had a quasi-rural upbringing, but I had not heard the details about chickens and it was delightful to find out something I didn't know about my own Pawpaw, long gone to glory.

When I'm not laughing out loud at the antics of my ladychicks, I like to read, swim, geocache, and dream about writing the great American novel -- I have one children's book to my credit now. I have a feeling that future books will feature chicks!

[​IMG]

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] There is wonderful information here on all aspects of chicken keeping, but I'd suggest you have a look through the Learning Center first, for the basics! I also enjoy talking to older people about their chickens. You can see the memories come back for them and their stories are amazing! They really did things differently back then... My grandfather cannot understand why I care about my flock so much and treat them like proper pets and heaven forbid, members of the family! LOL That's not how they did things back then... Maybe you should put together a book of all the old-timer's stories. That would be nice...

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, honeychile, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our community!! That was a great story you told about getting into chickens and learning about your grandfather and chickens! Happy you are enjoying them so! Good luck to you and have fun!

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

5. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from Kentucky!![​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. BertandMary

BertandMary Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2013
    Fayetteville, NC
    Welcome to BYC. Glad to see a fellow writer in the group, and from NC too. I don't do children's books, but I am working on a novel. Enjoy your Buffs...my wife and I have six RIR's.

7. KBG204

KBG204 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    Pasquotank County, NC
    [​IMG] from Pasquotank, NC! Glad you joined us!

8. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    [​IMG]

9. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

10. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012