1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Howdy from Northern Colorado

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by sueami, Dec 23, 2008.

1. sueami

sueami Out Of The Brooder

Dec 23, 2008
    Just a quick note to introduce myself, before i head over to the coops forum to ask a question.

I'm Sue, and DH and the kids (10 and 7) and I currently have four hens we bought in May and who have been laying for us since October. We live on a quarter acre in a little neighborhood just outside of city limits in Fort Collins (where the city voted to approve backyard hens a few months ago -- yea!-- but unfortunately for us, about 7 months too late, as we'd already bought a home in the unincorporated area because we thought it would be chicken friendlier. Sigh. Timing is everything. So now we're illegal chicken owners, though just across our back fence it's legal to have them!)

We have reserved 3 more chicks at the feed store, which we'll pick up after Christmas, because we're finding we don't really have enough eggs to share with our neighbors at 4 hens...

We have a buff orp, a black australorp, a rhode island red and a turken. We'll be picking up two auracanas and maybe another buff orp. This is our first foray into chicken keeping and it's been amazingly smooth, I have to say. I worry way too much about my chickies and they get quite well treated, and they reward us with 3-4 eggs a day, even now in winter.

I'm off to post my question about their sleeping habits in Coops. Delighted to find this resource!

Warmly,
    Sue

2. Bammony

Bammony Red-dress-less

Aug 15, 2008
    Salina, Utah
    Sue! WELCOME! So happy to have you here at BYC! You have some nice breeds there! I really like the Turkens! I heard the Turkens make great mothers. Anyway, Glad to have ya here! [​IMG]

3. Brown Egg Project

Brown Egg Project Out Of The Brooder

Dec 22, 2008
    Central Kentucky
    [​IMG] I'm a newbie too. This is a great place for information.

4. Dandelion007

Dandelion007 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2008
    Durant, OK
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by