Howdy from northern Oklahoma

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by angiadelle, Dec 20, 2014.

1. angiadelle

angiadelle Out Of The Brooder

Dec 1, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Hi guys! :) I'm Angi! I've lurked on this site for months and finally decided to make an account.

I live on a creek bank in north central Oklahoma with horses, goats, cats, chickens and an Australian Shepherd that thinks anything smaller than him is his baby. Oh, and a human that puts up with loads of animals and the crazy lady that keeps bringing them home. I was working on an animal science degree when he met me, so he knew what he was getting into.

My chicken addiction started last Spring when my mother and I were at our favorite feed store and she saw the chicks. She was pretty sure we needed fresh eggs so she picked out some Bufff Orpingtons and I picked out a couple bantams. She felt the bantams would be lonely with just two so she picked out four more.

Originally I was supposed to take the bantams when I got a coop built at my house but she got so attached to them, I couldn't take her chickens. We ended up getting an incubator and I started hatching my own chicks.

Each time I went to google with my incubation questions, the most solid and well referenced information came from here. After three hatches, I figured I owed it to the unhatched eggs to create an account and see if the good folks here could help iron out the problems!

My current tally includes turkens, bantams, Rhode Island Reds, Ameraucanas, Coturnix quail and a couple chickens that remain unidentified.

Anybody recognize the black bird on the far left of the picture? This is my first hatch on the day they moved into their new coop! There are actually six chickens in this picture... the bantam rooster is hiding under the two turkens on the right.

[​IMG]

I forgot what else was on the newbie questionnaire... Did I hit the highlights?

1 person likes this.
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock!! Excellent intro. I've just replied to your other thread hope you find it helpfull. I'm sure if you get some more close up pics of the black bird in your flock and post in the what breed gender section members will be able to help you with the breed https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this

Hope you enjoy BYC :frow

3. angiadelle

Dec 1, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Thank you for both of your replies and the link! [​IMG] I will get some better pics of the mystery chickens and take them to the right thread to get it figured out!

4. N F C

N F C doo be doo be doo Premium Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    Good morning and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

It sounds like you've already been a victim of 'chicken math', lol. You have a nice assortment of birds and other animals. It really is helpful to have an understanding spouse isn't it.

If you would like to connect with other members in OK, here's a link to help you find them:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/501128/okies-in-the-byc-iii

Nice to have you join us!

1 person likes this.
  5. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    [​IMG] glad you decided to join us.

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined the flock!

7. angiadelle

Dec 1, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Thanks guys!

Hehe "chicken math" Yes, it is handy to have understanding when it comes to animals! Thank you for the Okie link!

1 person likes this.
  8. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Nice flock!
    [​IMG]

9. matt44644

matt44644 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2014
    Sanilac County,Michigan
    [​IMG]