Howdy, from Parkside, Savannah, GA!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KrakenQueen, Jan 28, 2013.

1. KrakenQueen

KrakenQueen Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2012
    Savannah, GA
    Although I've already posted in another thread, I decided it would probably be good for me to post here as well, so, Hello!

My husband and I bought our home in Parkside, though we've been living in Savannah for nearly 12 years. I work from home doing illustration and generally maintain a garden when capable. We have a variety of furry, finned and scaled children- by next year I hope to make a decision on whether I can physically handle adding feathered to the list.

They are:
    Casie is our 15 year old pit mix (we call her our potato dog) suffering with nasal adenocarinoma. We feed her a home made cancer fighting diet.

Genesis is my 15 year old scottish fold, cat <3 My best pal.
    Olley, a 10 year old dsh- currently the only indoor/outdoor cat
    Bob and Mynah, the 5 year old rescue cats

Bobaface, the 8-ish year old bearded dragon
    3 brown anoles

Maggie, Phan, and...******* (pardon) are our three oldest goldfish of nearing 8 years
    Abigale, second oldest goldfish from a spawn of Maggie and Phan, about 3 years old
    Current 3 youngest goldfish are only about 6 months old and are nameless. Also Maggie and Phan spawn.
    So far my oldest fish, my hypostomus plecostomus, Disco, who we guesstimate to be about 14 years old. She still has a while to go.
    Raphie-cat, the striped raphael catfish..around 8 years old, +- some.
    Gambusia (mosquito fish)
    1 guppy..3 were a new addition after I swore off fish for 2 years. Two of them pulled a houdini the first night and ended up as guppy-jerky :/

1 emperor scorpion
    Hissing cockroaches, dubia and discoid roaches

(seems like a lot when it's all written out..)

I love to garden, edibles are my top priority but I also appreciate wildflowers and wildlife attractive natives. Nothing makes me happier than digging in the dirt, turning compost, and watching my hard work grow into something beautiful or edible..or both.

Lastly, I suffer from fibromyalgia (and the cfs that comes with it), tinnitus, dysmenorrhea, and endometriosis. It is uncertain whether I may be working my way towards arthritis. We do our best to try and manage my issues but as it happens, fibro tends to take cycles and 2012-2013 has been a long and unpleasant one. Sadly it is keeping me from doing the things that give me the most joy. I try to be positive, but it can be severely crushing. For now, I just sit outside and enjoy the songbirds at our feeders.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, KrakenQueen, and [​IMG]! Great to have you with us! Sorry to hear about your physical ailments. Sure hope you are able to add chickens - poultry can be very therapeutic. Once established, chickens are really not very much work at all. Good luck to you!

3. critterwhisper

critterwhisper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2013
    Greetings from indiana. My 40 yr old husband was dignoised with fibro last april. Feel free to private message me if i can answer any of your questions you may have.animals have been very therupetic for him and being home bound he has developed a very close bound with all our critters.welcome again :)

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Here's hoping that the 2013 cycle is far less painful. [​IMG]

5. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us. I'm so sorry to hear that. I have endometriosis, as well, and it alone can be very rough at times. Wishing you the best of luck with your health [​IMG]

6. KrakenQueen

Dec 5, 2012
    Savannah, GA
    Thank you, everyone. I do hope for a better 2013. There's just too much going on, I need a break!

Weimarmama, I am thankful that my endometriosis isn't as bad as my dysmenorrhea or fibro, both of those are by far the worst, though we are discussing with my doctor the option of finally getting a hystorectomy. The concern is that the dysmenorrhea + endo is part of what contributes to my fibro. My husband and I have talked about it for years, and with some push from family we agree it's time. The stress is just too much.

I hope you are able to manage yours!

Critter, yes, I have to agree that for the most part our pets do a good job at keeping me sane. However, I left out our newest addition, Leroy! She's a 2 year old siamese ferret- initially a foster turned into our own. She's quite the ham and does a great job putting a smile on our faces. Ferrets are such little clowns.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2013
  7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Sorry to hear about your troubles. Best of luck for 2013!

8. chickenpooplady

chickenpooplady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Ohio
    My Coop
    [​IMG] from Highland County Ohio and God Bless!!!

9. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

10. KrakenQueen

Dec 5, 2012
    Savannah, GA
    Thanks, guys! I look forward to doing my homework over the next year and learning for the forms! I've enjoyed the discussions I've participated in thus far :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by