Howdy from South Florida

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by lca2654, Mar 25, 2015.

1. lca2654

lca2654 New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    After a long time with no chickens we are back with a small starter flock of 4. Amazing what you can forget, lol. I had an ongoing flock 20 years ago and got wiped out by a hurricane. Was raised on a large northern farm but have been in the south for 30 plus years. Would love to meet others in the deep south who are interested in chickens. Unique problems here with the heat and humidity and constant predators. Hope to learn tons!

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC and back to poultry raising. Good luck with your flock.

3. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Hello, and welcome to BYC![​IMG] I'm glad you joined our community.

Good luck with your flock! To chat with other Southern poultry keepers, locate your state thread: Where am I? Where are you!

4. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! Great to hear you are now back into chicken keeping :celebrate Hope you are able to find lots of other chicken keepers in the link Wyandottes7 has left for you.

Wishing you the very best of luck, be sure to ask any questions you may have, everyone here to help and very friendly.
    Enjoy BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

5. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome back to chickens - glad you joined the BYC flock

6. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I'm glad you joined! :)

7. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    Welcome to BYC. Glad you decided join to our flock. Please feel free to ask any questions you may have. We are here to help in any way we can. What kind of chickens do you have?

8. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Always Thankful Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    Hello [​IMG]and Welcome to BYC![​IMG]

Glad to have you join! Feel free to make yourself at home!

9. lca2654

lca2654 New Egg

Mar 23, 2015
    3 Rhode Island Reds and a Black sex link I think, all hens. Nothing fancy just from the farm store. We are hoping to relocate mid state soon and then we will have more. More of a figuring out what I forgot situation at the moment. Small coop with out door run, soon to be able to free range. My veggie garden (which I am VERY serious about :) is in the same corral so they are confined to the run for a bit more. We do have hawks in the area, so I want them to be a little older and figure out a way to protect the larger area . All are about 3 mos old now. To me they look as big as my adult birds that I had in Dade. The feet are HUGE.

10. Michael OShay

Michael OShay Chicken Obsessed

May 14, 2014
    Montana
    If you have a female Black Sex Link, she will be black with some reddish or copper colored feathers in the neck area. Male BSLs look a lot like Barred Rocks. Black Sex Links are friendly and hardy egg laying machines. I've raised them for years (along with dozens of other breeds and hybrids), and they have been my best layers, consistently churning out more than 300 eggs per hen per year. If you are interested, you can post pics of your birds on our What Breed or Gender is This? section at https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/15/what-breed-or-gender-is-this and let our experts there ID them for you. Good luck with your flock.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by