Howdy from South Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by screager312, Dec 9, 2010.

1. screager312

screager312 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2010
    Mission
    New member as of today, been lurking awhile. Recently moved to Mission Tx from North Texas to be with my girlfriend and her daughter. We are about 5 miles from Mexico, a little different than what I'm used to but adjusting well.

Looking at raising some girls as a hobby and of course can't beat the eggs and meat. Also, shouldn't have a hard time getting rid of some eggs or chickens in this area if I went that route.

We have a huge backyard that is fenced in, free range will be no problem but I will build a coop. The neighbor has roosters that don't get bothered so my girls should be fine. When I'm gone they would be in the coop.

Looking at buying chicks in Feb. Going to look local 1st and go from there. Craigslist hasn't been a big help locally so I'm gonna hit up the markets this weekend see if I can find any supplies I know I will need.

The girlfriend thinks I'm crazy for wanting to do this, her daughter told me I have lost my mind. Lol. I can't help it, I was raised in the country, we had cattle instead of chickens. My dad will be raising quail this next year so maybe we can compare notes. Lol

Any advice is appreciated.

Anyone else in the area?

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

3. screager312

Dec 9, 2010
    Mission
    Thanks

4. Teach97

Teach97 Bantam Addict

Nov 12, 2008
    Hooker, OK
    grew-up in kingsville...family around hebronville...

welcome

5. screager312

Dec 9, 2010
    Mission
    We are in Alton (Mission)

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. I'm sure they will love the fresh eggs when they start eating them. [​IMG]

7. surfdok

surfdok Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2014
    Mission, Texas
    I know that this is an old thread but I'm in Mission TX. Just curious how your chicken ranch turned out. We started ours in January with 8 pullets but have lost some and gained two rabbits.

8. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by