1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Howdy from Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by mark9199, Mar 4, 2013.

1. mark9199

mark9199 Out Of The Brooder

Hi,

I've been lurking around for a while and learning lots of stuff. I'm located in Texas, just south of Houston. I've never had chickens but my wife had a few in the past. We decided it would be fun to have a small flock of hens around for some eggs. We're in our 50's now and watching after chickens sounds like a good hobby to help keep us out of trouble. [​IMG]

I'm finishing building a small coop based on the Purina plans. I'll post some pictures soon, assuming I figure out how. We'll be looking to get started with 3 chicks in about a month from now. After doing the research, I think we'll be looking for Rhode Island Reds. Not sure where we'll find the chicks in this area but open to any suggestions.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot more here and meeting the members. It's a great site full of good stuff!

Mark

2. DDNONIN2016

DDNONIN2016 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2012
    SW Ohio
    Hello and welcome from Ohio....so glad you joined BYC

Hope you find your chicks soon. Around here all the Tractor Supply stores and local feed stores have chicks avail now

Good luck and have fun

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Mark, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined us!! Yes, local feed stores - Orscheln's, Tractor Supply, others, plus grain elevators, often have them. Good luck and enjoy your new hobby!

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

5. Mi Ranchito

Mi Ranchito Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2013
    San Antonio, Texas
    Welcome and greetings from San Antonio! [​IMG]

6. darniti8it

darniti8it New Egg

Feb 15, 2013
    North Central Texas
    Howdy from another Texan. I can't figure out hiw ti introduce myself on a new introduction using my phone. So decided I just say howdy here. :)

7. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

8. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

9. AccidentalFarm

AccidentalFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2007
    Welcome to BYC from a fellow Texan!

As others have stated, TSC usually has standard 'reds' available. (Rhode Islands, Red Stars, New Hampshire's, etc). Smaller feed stores typically carry them, as well.

Good luck with the coop...we'd love to see pics once it's finished!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by