Howdy from Texas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Rubbertoe, Aug 18, 2013.

1. Rubbertoe

Rubbertoe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Floresville, TX
    Hello, new member here. I've lurked around here for a while and it looks like this forum has a lot of good information. We have a lot to learn.

We are fairly new to having chickens. It started when a friend of mine with chickens moved into a neighborhood that didn't allow them. He gave us his 11 chickens; four hens and seven young Cochins. He gave us a good deal on the feed, feeders and waterers he had. At the time we rented a farmhouse that had three full size coops from when eggs were a big part of the farm. We made some roosts and nesting boxes in the corner of one coop and we were in the egg making business.

One hen and one Cochin died from an apparent sickness. Five of the Cochins turned out to be roosters, so I butchered four of them. That was an interesting experience. We still have two in the freezer. One morning in broad daylight coyotes killed three of the last five, including the last rooster, so we're down to two of the original hens.

We've moved from the farmhouse into our first home, so while we were busy dealing with the mortgage company and packing I was spending late nights building the coop and the run. I built our coop and run based on designs I found here, elsewhere online and feedback from my wife who always said to make it bigger. Lol. I tried to make it easy to clean, well ventilated and small enough where the two of us can move it around if necessary.

The middle of our property is in a flood plain, most of the rest is sloping, so we really only had one spot where we could agreed to put it. It's shaded in the morning and evening, but is in full sun during the middle of the day. We've put a tarp over 2/3 of the run to give them shade. In this heat we're not getting any eggs.

We learned some lessons from building our first run and coop, but all in all we're happy with how it turned out.

- Should have used thicker plywood to avoid warping. I used thin plywood trying to keep it light and ended up having to use boards to keep the doors and windows from warping.
    - Should have used netting with smaller holes to keep the snakes out. We've already had two snakes in the coop. Both paid the ultimate price for their transgressions.
    - We didn't stretch the netting on the run, so it's loose and looks sloppy. Our coop is inside our fenced in yard, so we're hoping that helps keep ground level predators away.

Since Tapatalk likes to crash when I post pictures, I'll post some pics in my next post.

2. Rubbertoe

Aug 11, 2013
    Floresville, TX
    Well Tapatalk is having server problems and I don't have an image hosting website, so I'll have to try to post pics later.

3. Hi [​IMG]and welcome to BYC![​IMG] Glad you joined us![​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

6. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] Glad you joined us!

7. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, rubbertoe, and [​IMG]! Pleased you joined our flock!

8. Rubbertoe

Aug 11, 2013
    Floresville, TX
    Thanks all. :D

9. Rubbertoe

Aug 11, 2013
    Floresville, TX
    Test...
    [​IMG]

10. Rubbertoe