Howdy from the Crystal Coast of NC!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by nachoqtpie, Dec 4, 2011.

1. nachoqtpie

nachoqtpie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Jacksonville, NC
    So, after much much MUCH thought, and talking with out neighbors, we have decided that we are going to take the plunge into chickens!

When we bought our house (almost) 3 years ago, we were actually looking for a little bit of land to have a very small farmette (small garden, few chickens, and maybe a couple goats), but in the long run it turned out that we bought a small house on a small lot in a subdivision in the country because most of the ones that we liked were at the very tippy top of our price range, and we had no idea how to keep any animals/garden, so we thought we would start smaller and branch out when my husband got out of the Marine Corps.

Fast forward 3 years.. we have a okay size place, considering we have 3 dogs that have the run of the yard immediately behind the house and live on about 1/3 of an acre! We have 6 4x8 raised beds and a section for corn, 2 apple and 1 pear trees, 4 grape vines, a mulberry bush, and 4 raspberry bushes.

When we bought the house, we of course decided that we would follow the rules and not have chickens, but, as time went on, our direct neighbor got some Guinea hens and chickens (who are constantly in our side yard pestering our dogs... LOL) and another family 2 houses up got chickens as well! We've decided that WE'RE going to get chickens as well. I've been pouring over all the coop designs and trying to come up with a good one of my own. I think I have it pretty well planned, and we plan to have about 5-8 chickens. (There are only 4 of us! [​IMG] ) Hopefully we will be able to start in the spring with the construction of the coop and get chicks! We're not sure what type of chickens we're going to get tho.

When we get our farmette (hopefully in 2-3 years) we want to have dual purpose birds so we can have meat AND eggs, and probably a rooster or two, but, right now we're just going to focus on eggs. Any ideas? I really want the Easter Eggers, but my husband thinks that getting birds just because they "lay pretty eggs," I think that it's a perfectly acceptable reason to want the breed! [​IMG]

2. Lothiriel

Lothiriel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Aug 30, 2007
    New York State
    My Coop
    Welcome to the board! So glad you joined us, and that you have picked chickens as your starter. That's what we did -- 6 years ago we bought a few, and since then I have updated my flock yearly, done meat birds, and we have 2 cows and did 2 pigs this past summer, as well as the garden. It's completely possible with the right attitude!

And I love the term farmette -- that's what my grandfather calls our place. [​IMG]

3. M.sue

M.sue Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2011
    Michigan
    Hello and welcome from Michigan!! [​IMG] glad you decided to join & take the plunge!! You'll love this site and everyone on it...full of a lot of information to help you along the way!!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  4. MSDeb

MSDeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Welcome to BYC

5. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from Washington State glad you joined us!

6. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

7. nachoqtpie

Apr 30, 2011
    Jacksonville, NC
    Thanks guys! I've been a member over at TEG for a while. We've really wrestled with the decision to get birds because we're not supposed to. Both neighbors that have chickens tell us that we should just do it, and that if it's a big deal later that we can all band together and change it. None of us have any idea who we would talk to about getting it changed, so that's why they just did it anyways. *shrug*

How big of a coop do you think we should make for 5-8 birds? The one I've designed I put the size as 4'x8' with 3 nest boxes. I'm hoping that I have enough room in the spot that I'm thinking of putting it to have an 8x8 run. Do you think that is enough room for that many birds or should I go larger?

(And when I say we want to move to a farmette... I'm talking about around 20 acres. [​IMG])

8. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    WELCOME!!! from MA [​IMG]

9. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
  10. nachoqtpie

Apr 30, 2011
    Jacksonville, NC
    Thanks for the reply. My husband says 29Palms is a miserable place... but... he's never been there and off of the base so.. what does he know?! [​IMG]

I just want to provide my chickens with adequate space both inside the coop and in the run. Good thing is, we haven't built it yet, so there is still lots of time for changes to the plan! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by