We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Howdy Ho neighbors...

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by chanceosunshine, Jul 15, 2019.

1. chanceosunshine

chanceosunshine Chirping

Jul 15, 2019
    NW Ohio
    So, I'm totally going to cheat and use this handy dandy "template".

(1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    I raised chickens as a hobby about 20 years ago just collecting different breeds and letting them free range around the homestead. I loved them and referred to them as my living lawn ornaments. We had 40+ chickens at that time. My avatar is Splice, he was a Polish mix and was the best Rooster ever. We had him for many years and I literally grieved him like a member of the family.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?
    Sadly, we had a massacre take place in the coop one night about a month. We had 6 layers at that time and now we're down to two. But, our daughter-in-law is raising 8 chicks for us now that will be added to our girls soon.

(3) What breeds do you have?
    We currently have an Easter Egger and a big blue mix. Soon we'll be adding a Welsumer rooster, 2 Buff Orpingtons, 1 Midnight Majesty, 1 Salmon Faverolle, 1 Buff Brahma, 1 White Crested Black Polish and 1 silver laced Polish.

(4) What are your favorite aspects of raising backyard chickens?
    Chickens are just amazing creations! I love to watch them go about their chicken business.

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    Cooking, nutrition, building things, traveling and GRANDCHILDREN (best hobby ever!!!).

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    We have two homesteads in two different states, so we travel a lot. It's our goal to be as self sufficient as we can be and we're moving that direction...hoping to add meat birds to our farm ASAP and pigs in the spring.

(7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
    I've read things on BYC many times in the past and I'm finding myself needing to pick the brains of people with more chicken experience than I can find IRL. I'm glad to be here.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Good luck in maintaining your flock.

3. Meg-in-MT

Meg-in-MT Crossing the Road

Jan 29, 2018
    SW Montana
    Hello! Welcome to BYC!! :frow

I'm sorry to hear of your losses. Wishing you the best on integrating the new chicks.

Feel free to check out the links below for some interesting reading. Good luck on your adventures!

sourland, rjohns39, 007Sean and 8 others like this.
  4. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Hello and welcome to BYC. I hope that you enjoy your time here.

This is a useful link to take a look at - “How to...” guides. You may wish to consider including your location under your avatar (using the guide in the link above). You can use this link to contact members in your area - U.S. States

Best wishes

Pork Pie

sourland, rjohns39, 007Sean and 6 others like this.
  5. Rhodeislandsilkie

Rhodeislandsilkie Songster

Jul 13, 2018
    Southern California
    Welcome to BYC where someone is always happy to help.

sourland, rjohns39, 007Sean and 7 others like this.
  6. Texas Kiki

Texas Kiki TwatterSpotter

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    My Coop
    sourland, rjohns39, 007Sean and 6 others like this.
  7. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    So glad you joined the flock :welcome. You may want to check out "meat birds," as well as "Predator threads," for advice on safe guarding your flock

8. DobieLover

DobieLover Easily distracted by chickens

Jul 23, 2018
    Apalachin, NY
    My Coop
    Hello and welcome to BYC! :frow Glad you joined.

sourland, rjohns39, 007Sean and 7 others like this.
  9. Shadrach

Shadrach Roosterist

Jul 31, 2018
    Catalonia, Spain
    My Coop
    Hello chanceosunshine.
    Welcome to BYC.
    What got into your coop and how may I ask?

sourland, rjohns39, 007Sean and 8 others like this.
  10. chanceosunshine

chanceosunshine Chirping

Jul 15, 2019
    NW Ohio
    Wow! Thanks for the warm welcome and the links and recommendations. I'll be sure to check them out.

Shadrach, it depends upon who you ask. The neighbor says it was a coyote or a fox. We never even heard the commotion which is odd. Whatever it was took all but one carcass and the two surviving girls were loose and hiding in the woods when we found them the next morning. The carcass was laying in the middle of the coop. So whatever did it was able to get into the run and then through the 1 square foot doorway into the coop. Blood and feathers were all over the chicken yard. We do have a lot of raccoons to deal with here and you see more dead coyotes on the roads than you do deer, but I really don't know. The neighbor thinks a coyote could have squeezed into that doorway but I think a coyote would have tore up the coop a lot worse than it was.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: