Howdy ho

TheJasper

Hatching
Mar 10, 2016
New to the forums. I have many chickens and one duck. Also have my special needs hen, her name is bourbon. After an attack I had to amputate her right wing. She functions just fine without it. She is kept separate from the flock due to her being the odd hen out. She later lost her "butt" luckily no damage to her vent. Also by a predator. She is healed and well and my spoiled brat, ( they're all spoiled).

Hi welcome to BYC, I have 3 RIR hens an ameraucana hen and an ameraucana roo I just got 1 silver laced wyandotte chick 1 leghorn chick 1 mystery bantam chick and my neighbor is going to sell me a pair of seramas.

Hi and welcome to BYC - great to have you onboard.

If you check out the Learning Centre, you'll find a whole host of resources on all things chicken and duck. Its still a good resource for even the most experienced chicken / duck keeper.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/atype/1/Learning_Center

Your state thread is worth joining as you will get to know other BYC members in your area (https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/270925/find-your-states-thread).The members here are amazing - very friendly and helpful, so if you need an answer to a question or simply want some reassurance that what you are doing is ok, then post away - we all help each other out here at BYC.

All the best
CT

welcome-byc.gif

I also have a "special needs" chicken (a RIR with a lame leg) so I understand how you feel about yours...it takes a bit more effort to keep them but it's so worth it.

Good luck with all your birds, hope you enjoy it here on BYC as much as I do!

I had 7 down to 4 unknown mixed pullets. My favorite chicken man "Bill" loves to mix his breeds. I can't complain, some of my best animals I've gotten from him. Here where hay is $20+ a bale he sells me 3rd and 4th cuts for $8. The Gryphon passed last night. My brood are rir, ophingtons, americauna (bourbon) the mixes, and one unknown breed rooster named hop-a-long. He was picked up by a falcon and dropped. Took his leg awhile too become strong again. For predators. My usual a are predatory birds. Falcon, ospreys, and as of late a very large owl. Never much issues with coyotes due to my angry horse and dogs I let out when I hear the coyotes. Miss pips, my mare, is a very good anti coyote horse. People who don't believe horses eat meat need to take a better look at their teeth or history. Lol. The ferret is even really good about protecting his birds. On one occasion when I allowed them to free range I lost 7 roosters in 3 minutes due to an osprey. Lost my muskovey drakes to that dang owl. I've been reading through everyone's posts for some time now and finally decided to quit being a lurker. Thank you so much for the warm welcome.

Back
Top Bottom