Howdy! I'm new, please bear with me

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by kseabythec, Aug 2, 2013.

1. kseabythec

kseabythec Out Of The Brooder

Aug 2, 2013
    College Station, Texas
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens? Yes, I'm new to chickens. We just moved to the country a year ago and getting chickens was first on my list of must-haves. I love my girls...it was horrible, awful when my group of 14 was narrowed down to 7 while they were free-ranging it in my fenced back area.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now? I have 7 girls. They just started laying July 8. We get between 4-6 eggs most days, although once, we managed to get 8. Not sure how that happened and two were soft and poorly formed.

(3) What breeds do you have? I have one gold-laced wyandotte (Popeye), 2 silver-laced wyandottes (Good and Crisp), 2 Rhode Island Reds (Cain and Layne), one buff orpington (Golden) and one plymouth barred rock (Dixie). Had at least two of each until the great "event".

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com? Stumbled upon it online searching for duck questions. I have 5 ducks, as well (had 6...one of my mallard hens met her demise at the hands of a coyote last week. Problem with living in the country, can't keep everyone 100% safe 100% of the time). My ducks mate like rabbits...but have not seen signs of any eggs, yet. We got them at Easter time. 2 pekins (one male, one female), 2 mallards (both hens, lost one last week) and 2 hybrids of the two (one male and one female).

(5) What are some of your other hobbies? Being a country girl. Have always wanted to live in the country, now at almost 50, it is finally happening. I love my dogs, horses, chickens and ducks. They are my children, now that my real kids have moved onto college and their own lives. I have enjoyed canning for the first time (from our garden), babysitting my chickens when I let them free-range (since the "event", I don't leave them out on their own, anymore), shopping, volunteer activities and looking for a job.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share. I'm married to my high school sweetheart, we have 3 grown boys (well, all three are in college, guess they aren't "grown" just yet), just moved to the country after living at the beach for 15 years. We inherited a horse with our place (dumped here, wasn't the former owner's horse), got another one from a friend that needed to place hers. Then added our 14 (now 7) chickens and 6 (now 5) ducks. Have 3 dogs (all three bird dogs that have adjusted to life with ducks and chickens beautifully, they totally ignore them. Wonder what hunting season will be like this year???). Currently looking for a job, after being a mostly mom for the last 20-odd years. Hoping to have a good time with my critters and enjoy learning the ropes from those that have been there/done that.

2. lawrencerooney

lawrencerooney Out Of The Brooder

Jun 3, 2013
    In the hand of God
    Welcome to the site!
    About the questions...
    1. I and my family are new to chickens. Got our first ones in June of this year and still getting som in the near future :)
    2. I have 10 chickens in all, half adult and half chicks
    3. I have one light sussex (Rosey), a copper maran (Bonita Senhorita), a cream legbar (Clover), two wyandottes(Daisy and Snowdrop), two pekins (Blackberry and Popcorn), and three porcelain sablepoots (Pearl, Opal, and Boots).
    4. Stumbled upon it on the internet
    5. Things I enjoy is wood working, playing the piano, working in the garden and with chickens! :)
    6. I'm part of a large family in the midlands in England ... love rainy weather :)

3. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas and [​IMG]! Happy you joined our flock!

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] congrats on finally living in the country!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by