Howdy! New girl here that has a chick with a dislocating knee joint :(

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Mama_Vendredi, Aug 6, 2011.

1. Mama_Vendredi

Mama_Vendredi New Egg

Aug 6, 2011
    Hi everybody!
    I'm new to backyardchickens and I suppose I should introduce myself before I start asking for help!
    My name is Arianna, I'm entering my sophmore year of college to become a middle grades science teacher and I love my chickens. I got my first four chickens almost a year ago and four more shortly thereafter. I've got two silkies, a rhode island red, a leghorn, two amerucana mixes and a silkie leghorn mix. I had two silkie leghorn mixes but one turned out to be a rooster-which we found a new home for after he sired 13 adoreable little chicks.
    I got all of my chickens when they were around a month old. I raised them indoors until they were big enough to go outside and not get snatched by a hawk. 10 of my 13 chicks are outside with one of my silkies (who adopted all of them-only 4 are actually hers). The other three chicks are being raised by me indoors. They were too much younger than the other chicks my silkie adopted and so she rejected them. This leads me to my problem>
    One of the rejected chicks has a knee joint that refuses to stay in place. It seems like the ligament is too short and every time the chick tries to bend its knee it pops out of place. It doesn't seem to be in pain, but I feel so bad for the poor thing. Has anyone heard of this issue before and is there any way to fix it?
    Thanks guys!
    -Arianna

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG] from WA. glad you joined [​IMG] [​IMG] i haven't seen a chicken like that [​IMG]

3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    [​IMG] Arianna! Glad you joined the forum. You might want to place your question in the diseases/injuries section - someone might have had a similar issue and can lend you some advice. Good luck to you! [​IMG]

4. smarquis86

smarquis86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Yakima, WA
    [​IMG] from yakima, wa

5. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Louisiana!

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    [​IMG] Hello and welcome to BYC! I agree with the above poster and ask in the emergency and diseases forum. Maybe you can make her a brace? Good luck!

7. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    Welcome to BYC!

10. SpeckledHills

SpeckledHills Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Idaho/Utah
    It sounds like your chick has a slipped tendon in its hock joint. Glad you're getting right on the problem! [​IMG]

There is info on treating that on the Poultry Podiatry page on my website linked in my sig. I would DEFINITELY recommend several days in a chick chair for your guy, so the leg will be reasonably still during the time it's trying to reconstruct structure around the tendon to keep it permanently in place.

Hope it helps!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by