Howdy Ya'll-- Horse family getting chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MeowPonyMix, Jul 5, 2018.

1. MeowPonyMix

MeowPonyMix In the Brooder

Jul 5, 2018
    (1) Are you new to chickens / when did you first get chickens?
    I know minimal about chickens. At the moment I am working on building a chicken run/coop area.

(2) How many chickens do you have right now?

(3) What breeds do you have?
    Nothing.... yet.

(4) How did you find out about BackYardChickens.com?
    A simple google search sent me this way. This site has a plethora of information. Thank you!

(5) What are some of your other hobbies?
    We have horses and adding goats soon to our family. So I love taking money and flushing it down the toilet.

(6) Tell us about your family, your other pets, your occupation, or anything else you'd like to share.
    I am married and own a small farmette. Previous owners did a number on it, so it has been a labor of love. I consider myself a polytape electric fence and t post guru.

2. DelaneyMGB25

DelaneyMGB25 Songster

Jan 14, 2018
    Illinois
    Welcome to BYC!! I am also a horse fanatic! We currently have only 2, but we did have 7 a few years ago. What type of horses do you own? We have two bay quarters horses, and are hoping to breed our mare sometime next year! (Yes, we flush money down the toilet left and right as well :lau) Do you do anything thing with your horses, such as showing? Or trail/camping? I show my gelding, but the mare is currently just a pasture ornament!

What type chickens are you planning on getting? Are you looking for production birds, hobby birds, or birds for showing?

3. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Read more

Welcome to BYC!
    :yesss: We are glad you joined our flock!

This video will help you learn how to navigate this site:

Coop Ideas:
    Chicken Coops

BYC has an APP

Farmer Connie and Pork Pie Ken like this.
  4. MeowPonyMix

MeowPonyMix In the Brooder

Jul 5, 2018

Hi Delaney!

We currently have 3 rocky mountain horses. The breed is considered an engangered species! I have two black geldings (3 and 6 years old), and a chestnut mare (2) that I just positively adore. They're in a mixed herd. Perhaps the friendliest horses I've ever had. I am planning to utilize them for trail and endurance riding.

I have to ask...I see MGB in your screenname. Are you into MGs, perchance? My husband has a 1968 MGB GT.

Nice to meet you!

Farmer Connie and Pork Pie Ken like this.
  5. Pork Pie

Pork Pie Flockwit

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Hi and welcome to BYC

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping birds - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

This is a useful link relating to guides to read through - https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/website-announcements-feedback-issues-guides.3/?prefix_id=3

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find your State's thread.

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Farmer Connie likes this.
  6. DelaneyMGB25

DelaneyMGB25 Songster

Jan 14, 2018
    Illinois
    Awesome! I’ve seen a few pictures of the Rockys, and have always loved them! My mare is 10ish, and my gelding is pretty old, 24, but that doesn’t stop him from being reckless and arrogant...just the other day we bathed him for a show, and tied him to the gate to dry, and he decided to take of running, ripping the gate off, dragging it behind him. Thankfully, it was a miracle he wasn’t hurt! I though he wouldn’t stop until he broke a leg. But he’s totally fine. He’s my baby, so I forgave him for tearing up my gate! My mare is a sweet heart! Her name is Raizen, and is pretty clingy!

No, I honestly had to look up what a 1968 MGB GT was :lau
    MGB stands for modern Game Bantams in my dictionary! It’s the type of chickens I raise and show! They’re pretty awesome, small and friendly!

drumstick diva and Farmer Connie like this.
  7. Farmer Connie

Farmer Connie LORD OF THE FEED

Feb 28, 2017
    Florida Peninsula
    My Coop
    farmer-connie.1.gif hi.gif

drumstick diva likes this.
  8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years.

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Love your avatar, is it one of your drawings? So glad you joined us at BYC :ya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: