Howdy Y'all

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by TwinMama2x, Jan 6, 2011.

1. TwinMama2x

TwinMama2x Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2011
    Glasgow, Montana
    I'm Angie. I'm in NE Montana. I don't really talk like that but it's fun to pretend. [​IMG]

I am new to farming all the way around. I am originally from Seattle but married a homesick cowboy. Fast forward ten years and here I am with a newly purchased home (23 acres with 2 barns and several outbuildings). We bought the farm in October. First thing I did was get some chickens! 31 hens and 1 gander (his name is Duck, but I think he thinks he's a hen as I've photographed him trying to roost on the ladder roost I built for the girls.) I've got one pitiful looking hen who is inside the house right now. She's molting and dang near naked. My daughter is completely grossed out by her. Poor thing. Our weather is turning to crap again and we're supposed to get 10 more inches of snow (on top of the 40 inches we already have) and the temps are plummeting to -20F to -30F BEFORE wind chill. I can't have her turning into a hen-scicle.

In November I acquired a flock of 12 week old (or so) mallards who've just now began getting their colors so I now know I have 3 hens and 5 drakes. I have people asking for duck eggs when they start laying but I think I might let them hatch out the first year and then sell the eggs the following...not sure yet.

I've got 7 rabbits as well. Californians, New Zealand White and a couple Mini Lops. We have six more to add and another possible seven. We are breeding for meat and pets.

I have been lurking on the site here for a couple months now and thought I may as well make myself official and all. I am glad to have so much information available from people who have already experienced most everything I am certain will cross my fields here...

Looking forward to making lots of new friends!

2. StevenW.

StevenW. Lovin' My Quackers!

Oct 7, 2010
    Central, Illinois
    [​IMG] welcome fellow duck person [​IMG]

3. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

4. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

6. Wild Trapper

Wild Trapper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Ohio
    [​IMG] from Ohio

7. Muscovies

Muscovies Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from North Carolina

8. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Ohio. So glad you joined. [​IMG]

9. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    Hello from Hesperia, Ca [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Welcome!Come here to NC and you can talk like that for real!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by