1. jesnbec

jesnbec New Egg

Nov 24, 2009
    We've got a real jerk for a neighbor, and yesterday our rooster was crossing the road, was nearly across on the side of the road, and the neighbor was flying up the road in her car and ran over Checkers (the rooster). The really sick thing about it was that our other neighbor was watching the whole thing and said she saw Checkers and didn't even try to avoid him. She didn't bother to stop to tell anyone what had happened and on her way back through she was flying again, and looking for the chicken. I'm fit to be tied over it, she could ahve at least went around him or stopped to tell somebody what had happened.
    Checkers might have had a stroke of luck though, his foot is the only thing that got hurt. It's terribly swollen, his spur on that foot is split, but we're pretty sure his leg isn't broken, just a crushed foot.
    We can't afford a veternarian visit, god knows we would take him if we could afford it, but other than applying some anti-bacterial ointment on the foot and keeping him in a cage for a little while, is there anything we can do for him? He seems perfectly happy and healthy otherwise, he can't put weight on the foot and the swelling is pretty signifigant, but no signs of infection so far adn he's eating and crowing like a champ.
    Any advice?
    -Jesnbec

2. jesnbec

jesnbec New Egg

Nov 24, 2009
    Dernit, I posted this in the wrong forum, sorry about that guys.

3. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    first [​IMG]
    I'm sure you'll get some answers to the swollen foot issue, lots of knowledgable people on here.
    Sorry about your jerky neighbor, [​IMG] for Checker's foot!

4. Hoosiermomma

Hoosiermomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    S.E Ind
    [​IMG] and [​IMG] from Indiana. You'll definately find the answers you need here!

5. jesnbec

jesnbec New Egg

Nov 24, 2009
    It looks like a great site, am looking forwards to learning something here.
    We're pretty attached to Checkers and I'm hoping he's going to be ok. If anybody has any advice, we sure would appreciate it.
    I got to thinking that maybe the neighbor flying up and down the road like she was may have been the one thing that saved his butt because if she would have hit him going slowly he would have had time to try to jerk away that probably would have broken his leg for sure. The foot is swollen pretty bad though and I have no doubt he's in some serious pain, but he's taking it pretty well and we've put him in a cage with some straw, food and water until I can figure out what we can do for him.
    -Jesnbec

6. danielle82

danielle82 A Good Egg

Apr 27, 2009
    Tonasket Wa
    is he eating and drinking? it seems like his injuries is limited to his foot? I have never dealt with anything like this ever but I might consider a splint if no one chimes in here...you might try posting a question about it in the emergencies section, sometimes people who are actually equipped to give advice peruse that section of the forum

7. jesnbec

jesnbec New Egg

Nov 24, 2009
    Yup, he's eating like a horse and seems healthy otherwise. I'll post this in the Emergency section, thanks!
    Jesnbec

8. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Why not file a complaint against the neighbor? Some folks on here say they would get in trouble if they did something against marauding dogs chasing livestock on their own property, surely a neighbor who does intentional harm to livestock on a public right of way should at least be able to get a ticket? In some states, the livestock would actually have the right of way on public land/byways.

9. jesnbec

jesnbec New Egg

Nov 24, 2009
    We thought about doing that, we just don't want to get into a confrontation with the neighbors over it. We let the chickens roam so we have to accept the accident as an accident if that makes any sense, otherwise it's likely to cause more trouble than it's probably going to be worth. We did call the sherriff though, the road here is a backroad and the speed limit is 25, there was a kid killed a while back by a car flying through here so we're concerned no so much for Checkers and the Chickens but with the number of kids playing in the road, we're afraid it may not be chickens next time. They are going to set up one of those speed trap here, so maybe they will burn her butt with a speeding ticket, she's known to fly up and down through here. It would be hard to prove that she hit him on purpose, even though we're pretty sure she did according to the neighbors.
    Our immediate concern now of course, is doing what we can to save Checkers from an untimely demise. I checked on him a little while ago and he's eating and drinking still, the swelling is nasty looking but no oozing or bleeding and so far no obvious signs of infection where his spur was split. Is there something inexpensive we can give him to ward off infection, and is there a time frame for healing a smashed foot, I hate to keep him in the cage like that but we've got racoons and god knows what else who would probably have at him in his current condition. Other than the foot though, he seems ok.
    -Jesnbec

p.s.
    Thanks in advance for any advice, we really enjoy Checkers and want to help him in anyway we can. Taking him to the Vet is just not an option at the moment, we're pretty much broke and this couldn't have happened at a worse time.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  10. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    Hi and [​IMG]

Do a search on asprin dosage because I can't remember the ratio off hand. Some asprin in his water should help a bit with the pain a swelling. Other than that I think you're on the right track by keeping him confined so he doesn't move around too much. Good luck with him!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by