Howdy!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Undimere, Sep 15, 2012.

1. Undimere

Undimere Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2012
    Northern Utah
    You can call me Amber. My family and I live in Northern Utah. I have 5 lil Bantams (Flora, Penelope, Angel, Snow White & Elvira). I bought my girls when they were 3 weeks old, on August 5th this year. They are now almost 9 weeks old. Since I've only been raising chickens for almost a month I WELCOME any advice to keep my girls happy, healthy, and safe.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  2. omaeve

omaeve Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]Glad to meet you I am Evelyn..one hour west of D.C here in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia.

I Just got my first chickens, Sept 8 2012. I have three..2 frizzles and 1 Ameraucana...What do you have...?
    [​IMG]

3. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    And a ghost in the water jar [​IMG]

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello Amber, welcome to BYC [​IMG] I can give you pages with advice, but basically I found to keep them safe you'll have to watch for predators and take the necessary preventions, safe coop and run etc, too keep them happy give them food, attention and treats! For health, deworm twice a year, dust for mites, vaccinate if you have possible diseases in your region that could be a concern (we have Newcastle here, but ask your vet), you can also feed them medicated chick crumbles as a preventative and make sure their housing and bedding gets cleaned often. So, enjoy your chickens and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. We're here to help each other!

5. Undimere

Sep 15, 2012
    Northern Utah
    "I Just got my first chickens, Sept 8 2012. I have three..2 frizzles and 1 Ameraucana...What do you have...?"

Penelope is a wonderful, friendly little Dutch Bantam, Angel is a silly white Silkie, Flora is a curious Plymouth Rock, Elvira & Snow White are black Orpingtons but have kept their personalities hidden well.

6. Undimere

Sep 15, 2012
    Northern Utah
    "Hello Amber, welcome to BYC [​IMG] I can give you pages with advice, but basically I found to keep them safe you'll have to watch for predators and take the necessary preventions, safe coop and run etc, too keep them happy give them food, attention and treats! For health, deworm twice a year, dust for mites, vaccinate if you have possible diseases in your region that could be a concern (we have Newcastle here, but ask your vet), you can also feed them medicated chick crumbles as a preventative and make sure their housing and bedding gets cleaned often. So, enjoy your chickens and if you have any questions, feel free to ask. We're here to help each other!"

I bought a coop at our local Cal ranch and have it built on a brick base to keep burrowing predators away. It's meant for 3-4 chickens but I have 5 Bantams housed in there at night. During the day the girls get to wander my 15ft x 15ft garden, snacking on tomatoes, squash, grasshoppers, ect. I dewormed them when they were 5 weeks old. I am feeding them medicated chick crumbs and bought the girls a flock block. I dust them and there roost area each week when I clean the pine litter out. I have sand in the run and use a kitty-litter-scoop to clean their daily messes. I didn't know that chickens needed vaccines but I'll call my vet tomorrow =)

7. aaabirdman

aaabirdman Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2012
    NY
    Welcome to BYC

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

9. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad to have you aboard. :thumbsup

10. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, Amber, and [​IMG]! Happy you joined us - best of luck with your bantams!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by