Howdy!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by sillychickymama, Aug 2, 2013.

1. sillychickymama

sillychickymama New Egg

Jul 29, 2013
    Hi there. I'm done lurking around this site and am ready to come out from under my rock. I have some breed questions and I know there is a board specifically for such questions. However, my pics are on my phone. Any advice on how to post from said phone onto the board? Is there a phone app or something? Am I going to have to fine my digital camera and upload?
    My BG is that I am in year 3 of raising hens. We just had to start fresh this spring due to a massacre over the winter. I'm blaming skunks. I had to put my beautiful American Bulldog down last fall and she was their babysitter. I'm in city limits, so no roos aloud. Anywho... Currently raising 2 RIR 3 Orps 2 EE (of course these are the hens I have questions about.)
    Also, can I get advice on this board for training puppies to live w/ chickens? We lost one already to our rambunctious Corgi pup.
    Well, Thanks for reading and for the wealth of knowledge I have already learned from this site.[​IMG]

2. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life LOOK WHAT YOU MADE ME DO. Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

3. sillychickymama

sillychickymama New Egg

Jul 29, 2013
    [​IMG]

4. sillychickymama

sillychickymama New Egg

Jul 29, 2013
    Ha! Figured it out! Yay for me!

5. MzPlacedHippie

MzPlacedHippie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2013
    What a cute pic!

1 person likes this.
  6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG]To keep predators out, you need to use 1/2 inch hardware cloth not chicken wire. Chicken wire only keeps chickens IN, does NOT keep predators OUT. It is very flimsy and any predator worth his salt can tear thru it. You also need more post supports so wire is taut and not droopy. A raccoon would easily go under your fence, or just right thru., so would a dog, and an assortment of other predators. Running some electric fence wires around the outside would give you more protection . The doors need good locks, raccoons have opposable thumbs, tenacity, and brains.

One way to keep your dog from killing chickens is not to provide it with opportunities to do so. It should be on a leash and visiting with dog on one side of fence and chickens on the other. The worst thing anyone can do is introduce a dog to chickens by holding a chick up to the dogs face. He thinks he is being offered the chick as a treat - goodby chicken. Hello the beginnings of a chicken killer.

Please read the threads on predators and safeguards you can put into effect.

1 person likes this.
  7. sillychickymama

sillychickymama New Egg

Jul 29, 2013
    Thanks for the coop improvement suggestions, D.Diva. We figured between living in the city and our dog, we would be predator free. Nope.
    I usually do have the dog on a leash when I bring her with me or she just "stays" at the door. The "incident" occurred when my toddler figured out how to open the door to the run and a chicken got out of the run. I want the dog to see the hens as part of the family. She's great with the cat and the kids. I guess time and patience will be what it takes.

8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC! Glad you joined us! [​IMG]

9. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Greetings from Kansas, sillychickymama, and a belated [​IMG]! Good luck to you!

10. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG] That is the cutest pic! Absolutely adorable... There are some discussions here on training dogs to leave chickens alone and also some on training dogs to protect your flock against predators. Here are some:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/778988/training-a-dog-to-leave-chickens-alone

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700017/how-to-train-your-dog-not-to-kill-chickens

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/735168/raising-and-training-a-livestock-guardian-dog

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/426408/planned-livestock-guarding-dog-for-poultry

Enjoy the site!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by