How's about bait worms for treats?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dr.Doorlock, May 11, 2009.

1. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    It's like watching a football game when I drop a giant earthworm into the run. One girl will grab it and run to one end. Then another will snap off half and run to the other end. All the way the other six will chase them until somebody eats the footballs.

This is too much fun to give up. Should I wash the worms rather than just wiping off the manure they live in? I also give them an occasional june bug. I was throwing cockroaches out there until we sprayed. Now I stick to worms, june bugs, moths and oh! Yeah!

KIX is fir CHICKS!

2. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    i have a worm bin that I give all my birds treats from, as long as I'm not running short on the days I want to go fishing [​IMG]

3. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Most of mine will try to steal the worm from each other. It is really entertaining. There are some that will just look at them as if they are thinking, And you expect me to do what with that"? Now that it is summer my babies in the brooder get bugs and little worms. That way when they go to live outside they will eat these on sight. I actually went outside and looked for worms and tossed them towards the older birds and they just walked away except for 1, the buff hen. She went nuts. We have had rain just about everyday for 2 weeks so it isn't hard to find worms.

4. EricShane

EricShane Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    SouthWestern Ohio
    ive heard its kinda bad for them.. like it could give them some sort of worm problem (no pun intended)

is this true??

5. terri9630

terri9630 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2009
    New Mexico
    Earth worms are different from paracitic worms. Different creatures with different environmental needs.

6. xtremevermonter

xtremevermonter Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    yes, earthworms can carry the eggs of parasitic worms (gapeworm, capillary worm, tapeworm) in their gut.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by