How's Mottled Happen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by countyroad1330, Dec 20, 2007.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I've always got genetics questions, I think I should change my field of study. I'm referring to Cochins specifically with this, but maybe it doesn't matter. How do you get Mottled? And what do you get with a Mottled x Black mix?

2. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    That is a good question for the PoultryImprovement site. Tim is a genetics genius.
    Monty

3. Hi!
    I don't think you can 'make' mottled unless you have a bird that carries the mottled gene.

If you cross mottled with black, the males would be black with gold / red in the hackles.
    The females would be black.

If you cross the (mottled x black) offspring back with a mottled bird, you'd get mottling again.

Example:
    This guy is from a black Naked Neck roo crossed (accidently) with a mottled Cochin hen.
    The only 'mottling' he has is a few feathers on his feet (I got a little black hen from the cross w/ some mottled foot feathers, too).

[​IMG]

If I crossed him back with a mottled bird, the offspring would / could be mottled.

I think mottling can just show up as a sport (if that's the right word), but I don't think it's common.
    I had a black Ameraucana pullet that was showing some mottling, but she got killed.

Does that make sense?

Merry Christmas!
    Lisa

4. peachick

peachick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    Sorry I cant answer your question either, but since you are interested in Mottled, I thought I'd show you these guys. They are Exchequer Leghorns.... considered a Rare breed. Not approved by APA.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. maralpz2006

maralpz2006 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2007
    mississippi
    they are beautiful, i would like to have some next year.,peachick how many hens do you have

6. peeps7

peeps7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] Those are very beautiful birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by