How's Mottled Happen?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by countyroad1330, Dec 20, 2007.

1. countyroad1330

countyroad1330 Thunder Snow 2009!

Oct 15, 2007
    Oklahoma!
    I've always got genetics questions, I think I should change my field of study. I'm referring to Cochins specifically with this, but maybe it doesn't matter. How do you get Mottled? And what do you get with a Mottled x Black mix?

2. Buckguy20

Buckguy20 OKIE MOSES

Apr 13, 2007
    Choctaw Oklahoma
    That is a good question for the PoultryImprovement site. Tim is a genetics genius.
    Monty

3. Hi!
    I don't think you can 'make' mottled unless you have a bird that carries the mottled gene.

If you cross mottled with black, the males would be black with gold / red in the hackles.
    The females would be black.

If you cross the (mottled x black) offspring back with a mottled bird, you'd get mottling again.

Example:
    This guy is from a black Naked Neck roo crossed (accidently) with a mottled Cochin hen.
    The only 'mottling' he has is a few feathers on his feet (I got a little black hen from the cross w/ some mottled foot feathers, too).

[​IMG]

If I crossed him back with a mottled bird, the offspring would / could be mottled.

I think mottling can just show up as a sport (if that's the right word), but I don't think it's common.
    I had a black Ameraucana pullet that was showing some mottling, but she got killed.

Does that make sense?

Merry Christmas!
    Lisa

4. peachick

peachick Songster

Aug 8, 2007
    Maryland 21787
    Sorry I cant answer your question either, but since you are interested in Mottled, I thought I'd show you these guys. They are Exchequer Leghorns.... considered a Rare breed. Not approved by APA.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. maralpz2006

maralpz2006 Songster

Apr 21, 2007
    mississippi
    they are beautiful, i would like to have some next year.,peachick how many hens do you have

6. peeps7

peeps7 Songster

Aug 26, 2007
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] Those are very beautiful birds.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: