How's my coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kona26, Mar 29, 2015.

1. kona26

kona26 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    So I just picked this coop up. I am wanting to know if there is anything I should do or know to make it the best it can be. I have 6 chickens and there is only 2 boxes should I be ok ? Also what is the best to use on the floor section ? I have pine shaving now. If that is ok how often should I change it. ? Also what is the best bedding for the coop area ? It is sitting on 2 pallets with a sheet of ply wood thanks for the info !! I live in beaverton or btw

2. kona26

Mar 15, 2015
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Beautiful coop. Hard to see inside, how much ventilation is there? As for bedding, I like sand or pine shavings. For the run you can pull the plywood and just set it on the ground to save bedding money.

4. kona26

Mar 15, 2015
    I thought about that...should I be worried about animals coming from under..?

5. kona26

Mar 15, 2015
    Do you think this would be ok for 6 chickens....it is 3.5 ft wide or so and 7 or so feet long...about 4.5 ft high.
    coop is about 3.5 x 4 or so . I just wasn't sure with it only having 2 beds

6. SunkenRoadFarms

SunkenRoadFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2014
    Maryland
    Really you want 3-4 sq ft per bird in the coop and 10 sq ft per bird in the run. What breeds do you have? I would modify the coop to get the nestboxes external. They will only use these to lay eggs. At the same time you can add some much needed ventilation. Do you plan to free range? The run is a tight fit. To protect against diggers you can either attach and bury hardware clothe or apron it.

7. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Those aren't beds, they're nest boxes. Chickens like to roost on a roost pole at night. Does your coop have one? You really don't want them to sleep in the nest boxes anyway or else you will end up with poopy eggs.

8. kona26

Mar 15, 2015
    I have 2 Americanus 2 road island reds and 2 yellow ones I think the name starts with a c

9. kona26

Mar 15, 2015
    Yes it has a roost pole. I think I will be making the nesting box out side of the coop and extend the coop in all. Thinking I can just take the wire off the back and add a few 2x4 s and re wire it to give them some more room. So just setting it on the ground would be ok ? I have never seen any animals come up under the ground where I love but I guess you never know

10. OEG Lifer

OEG Lifer Out Of The Brooder

Most digging predators come at night. Raccoons, foxes, coyotes etc. Many many people have had great success, some for years, then something comes and takes a hen. Or all the hens.. My advice, be safe! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by