How's the economy in your neighborhood?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mahonri, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    IT'S DEFINITELY GETTING BAD HERE

[​IMG]

(Cat's are so dramatic)

2. azelgin

azelgin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    S.E. AZ
    It's not that bad around here, but I've heard that budget cuts in California have cause some hardships.
    [​IMG]

3. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    The subject is very sad but that is priceless!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    Youngstown, the 15th most dangerous city in the US to live in, more dangerous than the SR50 strip and the Parramore neighborhood in Orlando worse than Atlanta GA and Compton CA. 'nuff said???

5. realmofthewoodsranch

realmofthewoodsranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2009
    Palintowne, Alaska
    What economy?

6. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG]

~ bigzio

7. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    in my city? terrible. But it was like that when we moved here. No difference
    But there are still jobs out there for those that want them. If you want to work in the city you need to not have any experience or education it seems.
    If you have education and experience. You may have to travel some, but there are jobs here.

8. melissastraka

melissastraka Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2009
    Hoquiam, WA
    I live in western WA and our economy is supplied by the logging industry and fishing. Things are going down hill very fast and we have a 60% unemployment rate here...

9. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    Love that post!

Around here with Caterpillar plant shutting down much earlier than expected, many people are out of work and not enough work to go around.

When we go out to eat, we check out the cheap places such like Steak n Shake and I saw numberous couples sharing ONE single hamburger with small order of fries to SHARE between them. Sometimes it makes me cry to see that but they seems to be indifferent about it. Even the waitresses do understand why sharing meals was necessary to save a dollar a long ways. Besides the hamburger meal is less than four dollars.

I sure hope things will pick up but Caterpillar and Ameren IP are not hiring or recalling those employees back yet.

10. hennypenny9

hennypenny9 Chillin' With My Peeps

The other day I saw two women on the side of the road, one with a little baby, and one with a toddler, with homeless signs. The car in front of me gave them money, but this was last Sunday, and at the time I had $30 to get from Sunday to Friday... And... Am I wrong in thinking that they should be able to get assistance since they have kids? I kinda feel like they were using the kids for pity. [​IMG] I give to reputable charities, so don't hate me.

My parents have a roofing business and things are tough. To cut costs people are being illegal. Not having their papers and such. Or doing things under the table. Since my parents are legal, they're looking real hard at how they do business. But my step-dad's been in the business for 39 years, so I trust that he can get through it. [​IMG]

And I work in a fabric store. We're doing quite well considering that many people want to make or fix their clothes now. Many things are cheaper to make. Curtains, baby/toddler things, wedding supplies, etc. So the DIY places are doing swimmingly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by